EE20 engines in UK vans

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jacko1967
80-90 Mem No: 0

EE20 engines in UK vans

Post by jacko1967 »

Hi everyone just wondering if anybody has gone Subaru EE20 diesel.been watching van vids on you tube as you do! and there's a few gone that way in America.has anybody done this in the UK??? If so what do you think??

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: EE20 engines in UK vans

Post by silverbullet »

PM "bat" he's got one in a syncro caravelle.

FWIW I would read up on the engine: its "not like a conventional diesel for torque or economy, but not like a petrol engine for refinement or flexibility either" characteristics and also its failure points.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

jacko1967
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by jacko1967 »

Hi I was just wondering the Americans seem to love em on you tube. my jx is going ok at moment I am planning on keeping the van long term had it 5 years so far will probably need a new engine at some point lots of options cash depending.

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Boxeer, who did one of the early conversions on their van, have recently pulled their EE20 and replaced it with a VW 2.0 CR CJAA TDI, which I think they've said is for reasons of easy serviceability worldwide.

I've been doing a bit of reading on this as we're facing a possible emissions zone issue in a couple of years, which would require a Euro 6 diesel. Given that this CR engine is the E189 unit which has got VW in so much trouble, it's not entirely clear cut whether it would be a sensible move to convert to one of these engines. It's almost certainly better than a JX in every respect (except cost) but may not be sufficient long term.
Last edited by clift_d on 30 Oct 2018, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

jacko1967 wrote:Hi I was just wondering the Americans seem to love em on you tube. my jx is going ok at moment I am planning on keeping the van long term had it 5 years so far will probably need a new engine at some point lots of options cash depending.
Americans are so far behind, they are only just waking up to the whole TDI thing.

If the Boxeer people have walked away from their own conversion, what does that say about the engine?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk