CAN bus Subaru Conversion video diary

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

joneduk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: CAN bus Subaru Conversion video diary

Post by joneduk »

Hi Guy's

I messaged you Edd on facebook and JP on youtube (Thanks for the link).

Am in the process of putting a 2004 legacy EJ25 into my T25 1991 camper.

So far the engine is sat in the van, connected to the VW gearbox (auto) and that is about it.

I have ordered an emulator from AGT engineering in Aus, who have been really helpful, which is currently sat in customs in coventry!

Going to start the loom tomorrow. Happy with all the mechanical, but the loom work is going to be headache material I expect!! lol

Any advice appreciated (other than on this thread already! lol) and wish me luck.

Will keep you posted.

Jon

J P
80-90 Mem No: 16784

Post by J P »

Hi Jon

I hope the loom work is going well and in fact I'm quite envious of your job ahead. Knowing you've got the CAN bus side sorted with the emulator is a big bonus, when I started my project, AGT only produced the emulator with the display and priced around £1000 ruled that option out for me.

One tip I would give (This is one for you Edd as well) is that the alarm can be completely removed from the system quite easily. The Thatcham approved alarm was an addition for the UK market and it's interface to the ECU is pretty simple. I found that there are two un-documented black wires which run from the ECU to the alarm. When you press the keyfob remote, you have 30 seconds to start the engine indicated by the LED on the dash which goes off after this period. You then have to press the fob again to start the engine.

You can connect these two lines together at the ECU and do away with the alarm completely, there are two wires going to the BIU but these can be isolated or de-pinned. You still have the protection of the key transponder as this is a separate system. Although I kept the alarm in my setup I did this mod as I particularly disliked the annoying 30 second engine start timeout.

All the best and good luck :D

John
'88 Syncro Single Cab Pickup 2.5L Subaru RJES
'89 Trident Autosleeper Hightop 2.0L Subaru RJES

joneduk

Post by joneduk »

Thanks John that's awesome.

I had already found these wires. They connect to a white with blue wire.
Haven't disconnected them yet, but it was in the plan. :-)

Main problem is the emulator is in customs and I need it!!!!

Was hoping to use the camper for our holidays ( very rushed, we go away next weekend), but no chance without the emulator and time to install everything!!

Have left the loom for today, all spread out in our spare room waiting for the emulator.

Trying this weekend to get all the rest of the pipework sorted on the vehicle.

Thanks

Jon

J P
80-90 Mem No: 16784

Post by J P »

Jon/Edd - Any progress on your conversions?
'88 Syncro Single Cab Pickup 2.5L Subaru RJES
'89 Trident Autosleeper Hightop 2.0L Subaru RJES

eddbmxdude
80-90 Mem No: 4428

Post by eddbmxdude »

Thanks for the info on the alarm JP, very useful. I was planning on removing the alarm circuit anyway but still would have been stuck with those two wires.

No progress really, it's been a busy summer. I've farted about with some silicon hoses bit not really made any significant progress. I've been doing some unscheduled maintenance on the Toyota Townace which has been filling all my spare time at the moment.
1989 1.9 DG

joneduk

Post by joneduk »

My progress stopped as well for summer holiday. Back now and will be on it soon.
Going to scratch my head some more at the loom Friday. :-)

eddbmxdude

Post by eddbmxdude »

A quick update because I haven't done one for a while.

https://youtu.be/Q7UOLX3jt6Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After recording this I actually removed all six of the remaining circuits. The alarm was cut into a wire going to one of the ECU connectors. It will require joining back together. I haven't looked it up yet to see where it goes.

The next thing I'm going to tackle is removing the ABS circuit. I left it in because I wasn't sure if I needed to remove it when I first started the wiring.
1989 1.9 DG

eddbmxdude

Post by eddbmxdude »

I've just looked up the wire that the alarm was cut into.
It's pin 8 on ECU connector B137 which is power to the starter relay. Makes sense.
1989 1.9 DG