aaz knacked, refurb aaz or 1y/aef? costs benefits?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

damongrounsell
80-90 Mem No: 6973

aaz knacked, refurb aaz or 1y/aef? costs benefits?

Post by damongrounsell »

Hi some you may have seen my previous thread. Basically the motor oil ran dry, yes I'm an idiot and have cursed myself plent for this stupidity, please don't make me feel worse, in my defense the lack of an oil warning light and a questonable dip stick lead me to think oil was fine, I had checked it less than a week before, obviously not very well. I bought the van 4 weeks ago and have done arround 1000 miles in it.

So my options are a new reconditioned AAZ from AW engineering. This looks like the gold standard route, costs around 1700. But I will need to use the old turbo! will this have been wreaked by lack of oil? how do I test the the turbo? if it needs a new turbo this is an extra 500. Add 700 approx for garag fitting an ths is looking a really expensive option.

Or a kind forum member has offered a 1Y or AEF engine. About 600 withnew timing belt fitted from sub 100k donor car. To be honest the loss of turbo appeals reliblilty wise and I drive quite steady anyway. This is my wifes favoured option, saves a grand that we really don't have. The down side is how simple is it to fit an unturboed engine, will they use the same pump? exhaust etc..... will it just raise the cost of the garage fitting a different type of engine that may take many extra hours. This is an unknown I'm worried about, do any of you have further light and knowledge in this area?

I ask you because I don't know and I suspect some of you do!

I've trawled the wiki and can't find much on the diff

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: aaz knacked, refurb aaz or 1y/aef? costs benefits?

Post by colinthefox »

If you are seriously considering the 1Y/AEF route, take a look at this thread http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/1-6cs ... page1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which gives you all the information you need on which parts to re-use from which engine. It's based on swapping to an AEF from a non-turbo engine, so you won't have the inlet air and exhaust systems handy, but the thread will give you a pretty good idea of how to approach the job. The 1Y/AEF engines are a good match for the diesel gearbox you probably already have.

Just make sure, whichever engine you go for, that the inlet air system is fully sealed and soundproofed, all the way from the intake behind the grille right down to the engine, or the results will be incredibly noisy.

Best of luck, and if you do go the 1Y/AEF route just ask if you need more info.

PS. Just noticed that the engine swap thread has had 43000+ views. Phew!
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

damongrounsell
80-90 Mem No: 6973

Post by damongrounsell »

Thanks colin, you've lead me to the answers I was looking for, its not such a simple replacement aaz to 1y/aef as I was hoping for, since I'm paying a mechanic to do this rather than having the courage or time to do it myself reducing the number of differences between engine types will reduce the cost of fitting.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Yes, your turbo has probably (imho definitely) been damaged by lack of oil. If you go recon AAZ it will need replacing, and the warranty t&c will probably require it.
What with depends on the conversion you have, and whether they used the JX or AAZ turbo. (I always keep the JX turbo, and modify the AAZ inlet manifold to match the ports in the head whilst keeping the JX inlet tract, but we all do it differently). If you're lucky and it is JX, you can get a brand new turbo from BW for under £340 delivered.
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/turbo-t3-1-6td-jx-new.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You might even look into the option of fitting the 1Y but swapping the AAZ/JX pump and turbo onto it. (It should have 1.9TD cast into the block!). I've never done it, but I know some have with success. Maybe worth researching if the budget is tight. Whatever you end up doing, make sure you get the dipstick sorted!!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

I did the AEF and was very happy with the upgrade from a 1.6CS (who wouldn't be ?)

It coped with the mahoosive big tyres (225/80/14) on standard rims I later put on to give lower rpm at motorway cruising speed on the original 4 speed gearbox.

Mine came out of a skoda felecia - which I sold scrapped for almost as much as I paid for it after removing the engine.