Newbie, 1.9aaz loud knocking, smoke coming out of oil

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

damongrounsell
80-90 Mem No: 6973

Newbie, 1.9aaz loud knocking, smoke coming out of oil

Post by damongrounsell »

It was late at night, the boy coming back from band practise
A loud knocking, sounded like a rattle at first but got louder, then too loud to ignore, about 2 miles down the road after initial sounds.
Sounded like the apocalyse when I got out of car, lifted engine cover to find smoke coming out of the dip stick and oil cover also air filter. I then turned off engine Checked oil seemed a lot low, crazy dipstick on AAZ conversion refit may have been decieving me. Got a lift home and returned to car and filled in more oil 2.5 litres till dipstick was showing correct level and then turned it over again, started fine, still loud and shaking almost as if some cylinders aren't firing and still smoke coming from oil even though it was now cooler. I'll get RAC to to tow me to local garage tomorow morning but does any one have any ideas what may be wrong.

Just got the van 4 weeks ago, drove it from portsmouth to kirkcudbright, Scotland. done maybe 1000 miles, Finished painting with a roller this week, looks great and now it seems to want to self destruct. Not the best day for T25 ownership.

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Re: Newbie, 1.9aaz loud knocking, smoke coming out of oil

Post by mrhutch »

its knackered...

AAZ is a fragile engine in a T3 if not installed properly with a few mods to help it live longer (remote oil cooler, big rad, lower opening thermostat, intercooler).. Eventually it'll spin a bearing or throw a rod or generally cook itself

No bother though just replace it with a 1.9D (1Y/AEF) lump.

(I have a few for sale :-) )
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Cecil »

Sounds like it was using a lot of oil , had you been frequently checking it on your 1000 mile trip?
Is your van a later one with the oil pressure warning buzzer and is it connected?

damongrounsell
80-90 Mem No: 6973

Post by damongrounsell »

No oil pressure warning buzzer, and now I notice no warning light either. Doesn't come on when turn ingnition on so thats what cost me the engine.
The garage say it knackered, by sounds of they're right.
So I'm in the business of a new engine, Mrhutch has very kindly suggested a 1.9 na 1y/aef lump which he can sell, but I would love to know what my options are, AW engineering have AAZ's in reconditioned condition for about 1700 all in. My garage are lovely and honest but not allways the most technically brilliant, small town garage in SW scotland! Are there any other obvious routes to new enginedom.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

My preferred option - GTi it! It's the perfect opportunity. Stick LPG on it, and a Wolfy's workshop stainless exhaust. Lovely!
Or if the budget (or other personal reasons) prohibit that, the recon AAZ from AW is a very good option at a decent price. Their engines have a good reputation.
As a cheapo fix, go 1Y. TBH there's not a massive difference in performance between 1Y and AAZ. The wife's 1Y tintop flies!
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran