4 speed Gear linkages

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

davegeezzer008
80-90 Mem No: 7244

4 speed Gear linkages

Post by davegeezzer008 »

Hi guys I’m stopping out my WBX for aAAZ, all was going well until I tried sorting out the gear linkage, as far as I’m aware there are 2 different 4 speed linkages, one is the 19mm 3 piece and the other is the 21mm 2 piece.

The WBX had a ABD box which uses the 2 piece, the gear selector on the box is 185mm from the centre of the drive shaft ( just a point of reference) and uses the plastic ball type slider just in front of the fuel tank.

The box I’m going to use is a DK box which usually uses the 3 piece linkage,the gear selector on this box is 330mm from centre of the drive shaft ( up near the nose) the slider mounts around the same place in front of the fuel tank I think ?

My question is :- is there any way I can use the ball type mount for the 3 piece linkage bearing in mind the ball is 21mm the linkage is 19mm as this looks far superior and will save me welding a plate on to mimic the 19mm mount.
What did you do ?
Many thanks in advance Dave

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: 4 speed Gear linkages

Post by multisi »

Get an early rear linkage rod and graft the rod onto the later rods near the linkage swivel area. The DK box is shorter than the ABD . RJES do an extension mount for the early box if you need to push the engine back.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

davegeezzer008

Post by davegeezzer008 »

multisi wrote:Get an early rear linkage rod and graft the rod onto the later rods near the linkage swivel area. The DK box is shorter than the ABD . RJES do an extension mount for the early box if you need to push the engine back.
Cheers bud I was guessing I’d have to do something like that, I can chop the splined collar off the early one cut the linkage to length then weld the spliced collar back on ! Job done ! I’ll wait till I’ve got the engine in before doing so in case I have to move the gearbox mount, thanks for pointing this out I wasn’t aware of the difference in box length. Thanks for sharing your knowledge! Dave

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

I did mine by cutting off the early spliced/joining collar and just welded the early rod to the late rods, I didn't re use the early collar again.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

davegeezzer008

Post by davegeezzer008 »

multisi wrote:I did mine by cutting off the early spliced/joining collar and just welded the early rod to the late rods, I didn't re use the early collar again.
Ahh ok I’ll bear that in mind :ok ,