pipewerks--- water/oil vent / and brake servo

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

pipewerks--- water/oil vent / and brake servo

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

Hope you don't mind me asking for more guidance...

Im near to finalising the install and all has gone very well - thanks to help and advice from members here

Im pleased with the fit n finish - hoping for some further confirmation and guidance on the pipework for breather/water/ and brake servo systems as I'm near to needing petrol :ok

1- Oil breather pipes... the x2 out of the rocker covers and the big main one out of the crankcase all join/ cmnnect and vent into the air intake ?

2 The black metal pipe that starts out of the thermostat cover bottom right of engine -which runs up and across the block ... the first small outlet pipe is connected by rubber hose to the reversed coolant manifold or the underside of the throttle body - then out the other side of throttle body to the rev coolant manifold and the main pipe carries on and connects by rubber hose to the heater supply pipe ?

3- There seem to be x2 non return valves on the intake manifold - one bigger than 'tother - which one is the brake servo... and what is the other one to be connected to please ?

Thanks - hope you don't mind me asking again

Matt

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: pipewerks--- water/oil vent / and brake servo

Post by silverbullet »

From memory...Even though they are basically all the same, Subaru made so many changes to the plumbing on the EJ over the decades, you need to have the correct info for that model/variant.
The crankcase vents are controlled by a PCV valve somewhere (makes for a clean idle, otherwise emissions will be high)
Coolant plumbing is easy to get wrong (heater return and bypass more of an issue, the thermostat and coolant sensor can be fooled if it wrong)
The throttle body is heated by flow from the small bleed lines iirc

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Thanks

That confirms what i think i thought -

Very grateful for the reply

"nearly there :ok

Matt

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

silverbullet wrote:From memory...Even though they are basically all the same, Subaru made so many changes to the plumbing on the EJ over the decades, you need to have the correct info for that model/variant.
The crankcase vents are controlled by a PCV valve somewhere (makes for a clean idle, otherwise emissions will be high)
Coolant plumbing is easy to get wrong (heater return and bypass more of an issue, the thermostat and coolant sensor can be fooled if it wrong)
The throttle body is heated by flow from the small bleed lines iirc

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Ahhh...that solves my question about the inlet manifold non return valves - I googlezed PCV and it shows the big one is indeed the pcv .... which makes the smaller of the two the brake servo.. and the hoses fit, so thanks for that

Matt

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

I tee’d my crankcase breathers together into the the intake trunk along with the fuel purge line rather than block it off. Thin on the left is fuel vent, fat one is crankcase breathers.
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Thanks for that

Picture is helpful; too

Best

Matt