1.9 Exhaust System

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

1.9 Exhaust System

Post by The Hairy Camper »

So i'm slowly preparing a 1.9 1Y engine to replace my 1.7KY (with a tired alternator)

I was just enquiring about a JX Alternator when the kind fellow offered me the exhaust system from his 1.6td also. Is this a good system for a 1.9 engine?

My current exhaust system is from a 1.6 (non turbo)! Is it a straight forward swap?

Pics of the JX Exhaust:

Cheers!
1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

The Hairy Camper

Re: 1.9 Exhaust System

So looking through the forum, it seems that the JX exhaust manifold may be different to the CS/KY manifold. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, if the JX exhaust manifold is different/bigger, will it fit a 1Y engine nicely? I'm getting lost now :lol:

Cheers.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

What is wrong with making the exhaust system to suit the 1Y manifold? That way you will not be choking the gas flow.

Last edited by Oldiebut goodie on 03 Oct 2018, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

The Hairy Camper

Hey Oldie, is that what you did? I thought the 1Y manifold was to big to fit in the engine bay?

Oldiebut goodie

It is the inlet manifold that will hit - have you read the thread http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=107034
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

The Hairy Camper

Oldiebut goodie wrote:It is the inlet manifold that will hit - have you read the thread http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=107034

I'm probably going to sound stupid here, but is the inlet manifold different from the exhaust manifold?

Yes i've read though that guide a couple of times bud.

Oldiebut goodie

You can see the 1Y inlet manifold here on the left - aluminium, the exhaust manifold is rusty cast iron underneath it.

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

The Hairy Camper

Much appreciated Oldie, that is a nice shiny new looking alternator your engine :lol:

Did you use a modified 1.6/1.7 exhaust manifold?

Oldiebut goodie

No! Used the 1Y one otherwise you will choke the exhaust. People have used them but I prefer to allow the engine to breathe as VW designed it and stuck to all 1Y in and out.
It is all detailed in the 1.6 to 1Y thread.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

My opinion (which differs from OBGs) is that there isn't much wrong with re-using both the inlet and exhaust manifolds straight from your old KY engine.

The inlet or exhaust from a JX is not really suitable for what you want, as it was designed for a turbo.

In the end it all depends on what you want to achieve.

The advantages of OBGs setup are that you will get a small amount more power at high revs due to marginally better gas flow. The disadvantage is that it will be considerably noisier due to the cone type filter in the engine bay without noise attenuation. There may also be a risk of water getting breathed into the engine due to the position of the air intake. You will need to get a custom exhaust pipe made up from the exhaust manifold to the silencer.

The advantages of re-using your existing manifolds from the KY is that the engine will be much quieter, (as long as the original systems were complete and leakproof) and that no special parts need to be made. Against that, you will have a slight reduction in power at high revs (although I can't say I've ever noticed that) It is also advisable to slightly modify the fixing holes of the exhaust bracket and adjust the fitting of the downpipe into the silencer, as the 1Y engine is a smidge taller than the KY.

For more information have a look at this thread http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/1-6cs ... KW=#413096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which has sections on inlet and exhaust systems. It's about the AEF engine, but that is so similar to your 1Y that it makes no difference.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Oldiebut goodie

colinthefox wrote: The disadvantage is that it will be considerably noisier due to the cone type filter in the engine bay without noise attenuation. There may also be a risk of water getting breathed into the engine due to the position of the air intake.

The intake is ducted down following the original snorkel route - that pic is upon first installation before that was done.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

The Hairy Camper

Oldiebut goodie wrote:No! Used the 1Y one otherwise you will choke the exhaust. People have used them but I prefer to allow the engine to breathe as VW designed it and stuck to all 1Y in and out.
It is all detailed in the 1.6 to 1Y thread.

Cheers OBG :ok

colinthefox wrote:My opinion (which differs from OBGs) is that there isn't much wrong with re-using both the inlet and exhaust manifolds straight from your old KY engine.

The inlet or exhaust from a JX is not really suitable for what you want, as it was designed for a turbo.

In the end it all depends on what you want to achieve.

The advantages of OBGs setup are that you will get a small amount more power at high revs due to marginally better gas flow. The disadvantage is that it will be considerably noisier due to the cone type filter in the engine bay without noise attenuation. There may also be a risk of water getting breathed into the engine due to the position of the air intake. You will need to get a custom exhaust pipe made up from the exhaust manifold to the silencer.

The advantages of re-using your existing manifolds from the KY is that the engine will be much quieter, (as long as the original systems were complete and leakproof) and that no special parts need to be made. Against that, you will have a slight reduction in power at high revs (although I can't say I've ever noticed that) It is also advisable to slightly modify the fixing holes of the exhaust bracket and adjust the fitting of the downpipe into the silencer, as the 1Y engine is a smidge taller than the KY.

For more information have a look at this thread http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/1-6cs ... KW=#413096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which has sections on inlet and exhaust systems. It's about the AEF engine, but that is so similar to your 1Y that it makes no difference.

Thanks Colin, i found your 1.6-AEF guide a while back, really good read so thank you. I always wondered if i needed to drill a new dip stick hole on the 1Y like you did with the AEF? I don't think i'd trust myself doing that :shock:

Thanks for all your info here, is the CS/KY exhaust manifold definitely better than the JX? I assumed the bigger JX exhaust pipe would allow better air flow? Apparently there is a egr people seem to have issues with??

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

The Hairy Camper wrote: I always wondered if i needed to drill a new dip stick hole on the 1Y like you did with the AEF?

I think the 1Y dipstick is in the right place but the hole may be too big for the KY dipstick and needs some kind of different seal. That's the limit of my knowledge. Perhaps someone else can help.

The Hairy Camper wrote: Is the CS/KY exhaust manifold definitely better than the JX? I assumed the bigger JX exhaust pipe would allow better air flow? Apparently there is a egr people seem to have issues with??

You can use the KY/CS manifolds complete without modification. The JX exhaust pipe would need a different downpipe from the manifold to the silencer box if you decided to use the JX silencer. The JX pipe is indeed bigger. The turbo on the JX needs larger pipe to allow the exhaust gasses which have expanded in the turbo to flow easily, or the turbo won't work properly. So the JX pipe would allow better gas flow. The good news is that unlike a petrol engine, or a turbo diesel, a normally aspirated diesel isn't too fussy about this. (the technical reasons would clog up this thread, so I won't go into them here, but I'm happy to explain in a different thread if anyone is interested.)

The KY/CS engines don't use exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), so this wouldn't be an issue if you use the KY/CS manifolds, and this wouldn't affect the operation of the 1Y at all. If you use the 1Y manifolds from an engine with EGR, there is an extra flange on both the inlet and exhaust manifolds which you would simply blank off using a flat metal plate, gasket and a couple of nuts/bolts/studs. EGR simply reduces the NOX emissions, and you don't have to keep it.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Oldiebut goodie

colinthefox wrote:
The Hairy Camper wrote: I always wondered if i needed to drill a new dip stick hole on the 1Y like you did with the AEF?

I think the 1Y dipstick is in the right place but the hole may be too big for the KY dipstick and needs some kind of different seal. That's the limit of my knowledge. Perhaps someone else can help.

It is all in the thread that you have read! Very easy solution. No drilling.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

The Hairy Camper

Cheers Colin, appreciate you going into depth.

The JX exhaust seemed like a better option, but if the 1.6 system functions almost just as well, it's probably not worth it. Especially if your AEF has functioned fine this long without exhaust issues.

If i feel like fabricating an exhaust pipe/manifold in the future, i may look into it more then. :ok