1.9 tdi golf engine

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Stokie1403
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.9 tdi golf engine

Post by Stokie1403 »

Hi all

Abit of advice needed please!

Recently bought a T25 with a 1.9 TDI engine - all seemed well...

After what appeared to be a minor oil leak is now turning out to be abit bigger after taking it to a local garage.

The mechanic has said the engine has been mounted at an angle and oil is gathering in the rocker and leaking - aswell as leaking out of the sump gasket

He has suggested to get an original engine and refit due to the engine being at such an angle...

Is this something that is common with these engines when fitted to a t25 or any experience of this??

Cheers for the help
Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stokie1403

Re: 1.9 tdi golf engine

Post by Stokie1403 »

clone123

Post by clone123 »

Hi Jack I've never heard of that I run with a 1Y engine in mine straight out of a mk3 Golf with no problems if I was you I would just change the gaskets and hope that your rear crank seal hasn't gone.
1985 RHD T25 hightop camper 1.9td 1Y engine
It's always easier with a friend

Stokie1403

Post by Stokie1403 »

Cheers for the advice - going to look at getting the gaskets looked at!

Do you think it’s worth getting the engine steamed to find the route of the leak?
(If so just need to find someone who will steam clean it next!)

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Post by matt brighton »

VW mount engines at this angle out of the factory so thats not why its leaking

New gaskets will cure it

My CS and AEF were oil-tight and both mounted at same angle

clone123

Post by clone123 »

If you are getting someone to do the work for you let them steam clean it why get your hands dirty I do all my own work so I would jetwash the engine being very carefully to cover any electrics with a plastic bag.
1985 RHD T25 hightop camper 1.9td 1Y engine
It's always easier with a friend

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Its a TD engine, not a TDI (big difference), probably an AAZ.

There's no electrics to run the engine apart from the fuel cutoff solenoid, assuming the pump is one of the fully mechanical versions (there were a few different AAZ pumps).

Re. oil leaks, yes a well-installed healthy AAZ can run at 55 degress without leaking, as were the factory diesels.

I can see the breather system is a bit of a hack, instead of blowby gas being vented to the intake duct, it seems to be fed direct back into the crankcase ? Possibly this is affecting the gas flow between the crankcase and head and tending to make the oil pool in the head instead of flowing back into the crankcase. Pressure could also be too high in the crankcase causing oil to be forced out past the gaskets..
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Stokie1403

Post by Stokie1403 »

Wow, thanks so much for the help! As you could probably guess I’m totally new to all of this!

I just have no idea where to start with this - just dreading that this is going to be hugely expensive

syncroandy
Trader

Post by syncroandy »

Well I guess to start off, you need to decide whether to get stuck in yourself and take over the upkeep of the installation, or to find someone local you can trust with it. Do you do your own vehicle servicing etc ?
Syncrosport

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Stokie1403

Post by Stokie1403 »

It’s something I would have a go at but obviously I’m more or less going in blind (apart from the mates I have which have much more mechanical experience)

Do you think the whole engine would need dropping out and stripping and starting from there

Thanks again for the help!!!

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Reading the OP - it sounds as though "mechanic" is a fitter - find a mechanic that can think for himself rather than just read a computer. :D At what angle does he think that an original engine sits at?
New ( correct ) sump gasket and rocker one. Job done. Check cover for flatness in case it has been distorted. Never had a leak from my 1Y since installation.
I spray my engines with degreaser and hose off, have never covered any electrics - not needed like those funny petrol engines. Only place that I don't put degreaser is in the alternator.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

syncroandy
Trader

Post by syncroandy »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Reading the OP - it sounds as though "mechanic" is a fitter - find a mechanic that can think for himself rather than just read a computer. :D At what angle does he think that an original engine sits at?
New ( correct ) sump gasket and rocker one. Job done. Check cover for flatness in case it has been distorted. Never had a leak from my 1Y since installation.
I spray my engines with degreaser and hose off, have never covered any electrics - not needed like those funny petrol engines. Only place that I don't put degreaser is in the alternator.

Job done ? Maybe, if the install was 'standard'. But have another look at the pics, it looks like the breather pipe from the PCV valve has been routed to an aftermarket oil catch can, which has had its vapour vent *blanked off*. So where exactly is the crankcase vented to ? If at all ?
Syncrosport

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Stokie1403

Post by Stokie1403 »

The oil catcher has a pipe coming out that is just cut off and open ended - is this the part that would usually track to somewhere else?

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

I read this thread with interest in view of a similar problem with one of my earlier campers - a bedford CF which was fitted with the 2.3 sloping in line four and was up for sale cheap as it had a long history of leaking oil from the cam cover and wrecking the alternator. After a couple of new gaskets and some pondering I came to the conclusion that the camshaft was throwing a continuous stream of oil at the inside of the cam cover which meant that the camshaft gasket was under constant bombardment from hot oil which eventually found its way out. My solution was to form four curved strips of thin steel sheet each with a tang each side which held it down over the camshaft and hydraulic tappet diverting the flow of oil back into the head void rather than via the cover and its gasket.
This resulted in many years of oil free engine bay and more importantly a dry alternator. Probably not what the manufacturer would recoment but...
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

So that my old eyes can see what you can see! :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶