Matt's Conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: day/session 6

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Are you painting straight on to bright galvanized surfaces - I was always taught to wait until it had weathered and gone dull before anything was added otherwise it just peels off. ( I don't know if the Hammerite allows this though, any mention in the instructions for use?)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Re: day/session 6

Post by matt brighton »

Yes I am painting direct to bright contrary to instructions,

I did scuff it up a bit with 600 grade nd wire wool,

Worse case scenario i take it off and paint it again

My main problem is that the RJES rear gearbox mount seems too small for the round rubber bracket to crossmember - Unless Im doing something daft which is possible

I will give Richard a call just in case there are different mounts and I have one for a beetle ... and as al last resort ....read the instructions.....

matt brighton

Matt's Conversion

Post by matt brighton »

Sounds like a new ITV drama

But at Robs suggestion I will be posting all my progress here in one place rather than a seperate post for each episode .

Yesterday, much to my disappointment I discovered there are different sized gearbox chassis mounts (the plate and rubber doughnut that bolts to the chassis ) and guess what.... - mine is the wrong too big size for the RJES gearbox extension bracket ... so I have to get a new/used one unless RJES do a different one for diesel conversion,

I have been trying to clean up the engine aluminium so it doesn't look lt been in a swamp for past 290 years -many hours of wire brushing, angle grinder with wire knotted brush, and oven cleaner wire wool, farecla G9 - brasso to no avail or noticeable improvement to alloy surface

Then... a revelation, 1/2 hr with a bottle of diet coke and toothbrush yielded much improved finish - its the phospheric acid in coke ....so i now know machine mart do a litre of alloy cleaner for a fiver so getting that today.

Today I am also Off to bother heritage to compare gearbox mounts.... so I know exactly what to ask for in the WANTED section

Kev t Rev pointed out I have ignored the instructions for hammerite straight to galvanised paint - I should let it weather and react over time before applying paint

Today am putting the ecu boxes on a board under the bed

I have asked Richard RJES for the thicker input shaft bearing he is getting in to try to compensate for my lack of length in the shaft department :D - its not essential but preferable as diesel input shafts are a little shorter than the petrol ones.

Might fit the petrol tank and fuel lines/ pump

Still have to fit the frone extension loom and get new exhaust header studs.

I had to helical the thread on one - flipping £40 for a rethread set

I will post an itemised list of costings and I'm still to tackle the exhaust but I'm easily north of £2.5k spend and the engine was only £600 delivered from HDC.

Im in too deep and I'm sure it'll be worth it .... just annoying to have had to spend £250 on a fuel tank and I'm yet to sort an exhaust/ service the engine and replace cam belt/ plugs etc.

Anyone got a gearbox mount ??

Best

Matt

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Matt's Conversion

Post by multisi »

I have small rubber gearbox mount bracket. Have you changed the gear linkage bush that's above the fuel tank ?
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Thanks

No... not replaced it just yet (bush above the tank), contemplating getting the full "kit n kaboodle" bushing kit but will take your advice and do the bush while the tank is off.

Does the smaller gearbox mount bracket you have... have the rubber bush ?

Let me know what you want for it - plus postage -

if you want I can send you postage cost separately after you have sent it -

if that is easier as you underestimated the cost last time when you sent me the fuel pump.

Thanks again for the reply and advice

Matt
Last edited by matt brighton on 17 Sep 2018, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

Oldiebut goodie

matt brighton wrote:
Kev t Rev pointed out I have ignored the instructions for hammerite straight to galvanised paint - I should let it weather and react over time before applying paint
Matt

I've had a name change! :shock:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Whoops

Sorry

My apologies

Matt

Oldiebut goodie

:rollin
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

£600 for your engine from HDC? What engine is it as I think my 2.0l na ej20 was £250 delivered from them. Mine had 88k on the clock from a impreza scrapped due to clutch gone. Pulls well although need to address induction noise along with horrendous wind noise akin to being inside a hurricane when travelling at 40mph+
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

just a humble 2.0 NA EJ20 - 1999 from a manual legacy with ecu"s

Im hoping a Legacy won't have been given as hard a life as one out of an Impreza but theres no telling until I use it...

It was £400 & vat and a further £100 delivered to me on a pallet inc wiring harness sent direct to RJES .

Its bought now, so not much i can do except hope it is in good condition

Maybe he's cottoned on to the VW market and you got yours before he saw a need in the market ...

having found out more about them and a local contact for Subaru I am sure I could have got one , cheaper, but it came with all necessary parts and I didn't have time or space to get a donor car and extract the loom etc myself

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I live very close to hdc and have dealt with Howard many times. He's a good guy and very very thorough with all parts and attitude to engines. I got mine from him too and saw the whole process. He's done work for me too (valve cover gaskets when I didn't want to get dirty and had no time) and I was there for that too. He also diagnosed and fixed an exhaust leak that sounded *exactly* like a slipping alt belt which was confusing the hell out of me for free). Im sure you made a good choice [THUMBS UP SIGN]
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Thanks Slowcoach,

I got a "good feeling" too about him and June - and everyone I have spoken to with dealings with him say the same

at the time I thought I would want more than £400 to buy and store a scrap car , remove an engine /strip the car of specific parts/remove a loom package it up and send. sounds like Mshaw got a bargain :ok

The spark plugs are a good colour - no obvious leaks, and Im doing a leak down and comp test before i install..

All the best and I will keep posting progress.

Im in the middle of resolving the difference in gearbox mount (plate to chassis not the plate to gearbox) sizes...

my "fat" diesel one won't fit the RJES gearbox extension bracket....

Im going to VW heritage to play with different sizes of new ones at the parts counter but Im pretty sure I need a petrol mount.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

I have a small petrol mount, will send pm.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Today I have been mostly......

Thanks to Multisi I have the correct gearbox mount on its way to me (....isn't this forum the best !!)

The crank sensor had to be drilled and its tin casing hammered out as the casing had wielded itself to the alloy housing - new sensor now ordered £18 off e bay

Fancy blue anodised magnetic drain plug ordered too

Clutch off the flywheel... my engine is from a manual legacy so flywheel ok

RJES Richard is sending me a thicker input shaft bearing today too

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

More boxes ticked - after a few sessions of hours of fettling to no apparent progress it seems to be coming together now

Using a drift pin, chisel and drill managed to remove the remnants of the crank sensor body that had wielded itself to the aluminium housing - new crank sensor arrived too - £18 off the bay

Fuel tank installed - had to trim it with cutting disc to fit.

Breather tubes, balance pipe and filer neck installed

New feed and return pipes - using the subaru kit from Brickwerks

Flywheel removed and steel replacement oil breather cover installed

Clutch arm attached to shaft

Today I intend to mount the fuel pump and filter and/or bolt to a board the ecu/relays under the seat

get the tank neck sealing ring from VW Heritage