Matt's Conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Re: Previously .. on Matt's Conversion

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

So.... following on from the last episode of my conversion , my outstanding wrinkles to iron out today (Monday) are

Error Codes

Seeing what error codes reappear and determine what needs doing to stop them reappearing. As of last time out I have x3 blinking at me
1- starter switch on or off code -
3- Idle air valve - and
3 - no vehicle speed signal (I do have the RJES VSS on speedo)

Test System Cycle Plug

The test cycle just won't turn off unless I disconnect the battery neg lead

Cooling System

Running temp needs resolving
It was running frightfully hot but no flow either side of thermostat despite strong pump as evidenced by swirl in header tank when revved.
I did a halfway house with the thermostat "removal" being mindful of keeping back pressure, and cut out just the valve control bit. Thereby not completely removing it retaining the valve mounting ring keeping 2/3rd of the restriction caused by the thermostat, maintaining back pressure in system. It runs cool now (which is safer than overheating) and flow is evident to and from radiator - very hot to rad - normal hot from . Maybe the thermostat was sticking or I could I have installed the stat the wrong way round ?? :oops: - which will go on my top tips list along with don't forget the input shaft spacer :oops: !.

I will get a new thermostat and install it.

Flashing red LED on VW temp guage blinks permanently - no relay removal seems to affect it blinking... blinking :shock: I may well have the wrong live feed to that circuit. The red LED is both overheat and los coolant but I'm not sure what to look for to check both ? If I can't fix it today... how do I disconnect it for now ? until I fix it or put a separate VDO temp gauge

Final Fix

Endless list of those little jobs that will make difference between a nailed in "that'll do" look of the finished install , and one that has been thoughtfully and properly done - i.e. p clips and proper brackets instead of cable ties for cables and pipes .... washers and nuts the right way round - new Stainless bolts and nuts.

Advice ....as always is very welcome

Best

Matt