Subaru EJ20 Exhaust Pics (Home Made, excuse the welding :-)

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Subaru EJ20 Exhaust Pics (Home Made, excuse the welding :-)

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hi peeps

So for those of us who are saving for a stainless steel exhaust then please find some pictures of the exhaust I made myself using the original subaru exhaust manifold headers and some 1.5 inch mild steel pipe, bends and flexi pipe. I did this before I could weld (although I am not world class still) but gives an idea of what you can do with a welder and the original subaru and VW exhaust along with some mild steel pipe you can buy. It fits well. As my van is standard height there is plenty of clearance. I took it off to be sandblasted (went rusty over a few years of non use) and then my sandblaster painted it with BBQ paint as he said it is more resilient than high temp paint.

ImageEj20 exhaust. Excuse the rubbish welding. Was done whilst learning. by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
ImageEj20 exhaust. Excuse the rubbish welding. Was done whilst learning. by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

Once it is back on the van I will post some more pics to show how I mounted it.
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

george2490
80-90 Mem No: 14339

Re: Subaru EJ20 Exhaust Pics (Home Made, excuse the welding :-)

Post by george2490 »

Nice work.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
2.0 CU

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

That is impressive.
Thanks for posting, very helpful for me in the near future!
:ok
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Good work ! All you'll need in the long run is lower profile headers for the ground clearance. Good stuff :-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

Here are some pictures of the silencer mounting for the driver side rear of the van. Would like to take credit for the idea but I saw it on an American vanagon website, cant remember which one...
ImageExhaust muffler mount off manifold studs and vacant threaded hole on top of Subaru engine by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
ImageExhaust muffler mount off manifold studs and vacant threaded hole on top of Subaru engine by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

As you can see it bolts to the exhaust manifold and an empty threaded hole on top of the engine. Hope it helps. Will post the other side tomorrow along with the exhaust fitted :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)