1Y conversion - problems with exhaust mounts breaking.

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

1Y conversion - problems with exhaust mounts breaking.

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Can anyone please help. I have had a few of the exhaust mounts break recently, one had been on just 2 days. The rubber is coming away from the metal plate it is bonded to. Is this a problem with all 1Y conversions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: 1Y conversion - problems with exhaust mounts breaking.

Post by colinthefox »

The 1Y block is slightly taller than the original 1.6. This puts some strain on the mounts if the standard exhaust is just refitted as it was.

The aftermarket mounts appear to be very poor quality too compared with OEM. The rubber seems very brittle. I've fitted loads of them in the last few years. Once one goes, the other two are sure to follow. I carry a few spares.

I don't think there's a magic answer to this problem.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

colinthefox wrote:The 1Y block is slightly taller than the original 1.6. This puts some strain on the mounts if the standard exhaust is just refitted as it was.

The aftermarket mounts appear to be very poor quality too compared with OEM. The rubber seems very brittle. I've fitted loads of them in the last few years. Once one goes, the other two are sure to follow. I carry a few spares.

I don't think there's a magic answer to this problem.

Thanks for that. Have you fitted OEM mounts? Are these the ones Brickwerks sell for around £40?

I’m not 100% sure how the original 1.6 Diesel exhaust is set up so don’t really know if mine is, as was.

Don’t mind paying for proper parts if available to save keep changing them. Currently have one side of the exhaust chained up. Hoping it will get me through!!

1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

colinthefox

Post by colinthefox »

Jonnyb416 wrote: Have you fitted OEM mounts? Are these the ones Brickwerks sell for around £40?

I've just used the £4 aftermarket ones. I hadn't seen the £42 oversized mount until now. No I haven't used that one, but I suppose it might make some difference. If VW thought it was necessary then maybe it is. As it only takes a few minutes to change the right hand mount I just check it after every long trip. The current one has been there over a year :D

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

colinthefox wrote:
Jonnyb416 wrote: Have you fitted OEM mounts? Are these the ones Brickwerks sell for around £40?

I've just used the £4 aftermarket ones. I hadn't seen the £42 oversized mount until now. No I haven't used that one, but I suppose it might make some difference. If VW thought it was necessary then maybe it is. As it only takes a few minutes to change the right hand mount I just check it after every long trip. The current one has been there over a year :D

I’m thinking it might be worth a try. Thing is, it’s the nearside mount that’s broken on mine and I think that oversize mount is for the offside (right)

I’ve had a look at your post over on the Brickyard about your 1Y conversion. You talk about extending the exhaust, was it 12mm. I don’t reckon that’s been done on mine. Do you have any further advice or links that may help me with this please?

Something obviously isn’t right to have 2 mounts break within a few days. I have just done a few hundred miles.

Need to get back and look at the Bentley manual and compare with what I’ve got right now.

Thanks, Jon.

colinthefox

Post by colinthefox »

Slight correction first. My build thread is about an AEF engine, but the dimensions of the block are identical to the 1Y, so it shouldn't make any difference..............

Because the block is slightly taller, and the engine is at 50degrees, the manifold flange where the exhaust bolts on will be higher and further to the left than on the 1.6, so if the silencer box is in the original position, the end of the downpipe will be correspondingly higher and further to the left than ideal to go into the silencer.

There should be 2 rubber mounts on the nearside. The joint between the downpipe and the box needs to be slackened off and pulled out by about 12mm (I think) to accommodate the "further to the left" bit. I seem to remember having to extend a couple of the bolt holes for the mounts by a couple of mm to cope with the "slightly higher" bit. It took me quite a while to work out how to get it all accurately aligned without stressing he mounts. Ideally they need to be slightly in compression (ie not tending to pull the rubber apart).

Hope this helps.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I built the exhaust to fit and have not had a mount go yet. You must have made the exhaust the wrong size and it is putting too much strain on the mounts. Easy enough to make so long as you go steady at it. I just bought some stainless exhaust bends off ebay and followed the old CS shape.

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Cheers you two.

When I first got my van back from the conversion, it didn’t have a single rubber mount, just metal. They eventually broke. I’ve since fitted 2 rubber mounts, 1 either side. Didn’t know there should be 2 on the nearside.

The exhaust and brackets are rather rusty so I reckon it’s new exhaust etc and take a look how it should be set up, then with the adjustments that CTF has described, I should be in with a chance.

Does anyone reading this have the exhaust diagram for the 1.6 Diesel CS to band please?

Just so I can get my head round what it should look like. Thank you, Jon.

Oldiebut goodie

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Excellent. Thank you very much.

colinthefox

Post by colinthefox »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:You must have made the exhaust the wrong size

OBG..............I don't understand which of us is supposed to have made their exhaust the wrong size.

Oldiebut goodie

Both of you by the looks of it, as you both are having trouble with the mounts. I suppose you both are using the CS or JX manifolds which constrict the exhaust flow instead of using the 1.9s manifold hence you are attempting to force a standard exhaust system to fit with the resulting failure.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Post by Smcknighty »

The fix is presumably simples. Once my van gets to the point of leaving the drive I will take a look

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Post by Smcknighty »

I would have followed obg’s approach when converting but the 1y guide didn’t mention this being an issue and I had a good exhaust. I think there’s a simple fix somewhere though

colinthefox

Post by colinthefox »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Both of you by the looks of it, as you both are having trouble with the mounts. I suppose you both are using the CS or JX manifolds which constrict the exhaust flow instead of using the 1.9s manifold hence you are attempting to force a standard exhaust system to fit with the resulting failure.

Your opinion, which you are quite entitled to. We'll differ on this one then.