Auxiliary Gauges for ej20

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Auxiliary Gauges for ej20

Post by Woodyyellow »

I’m currently in the early stages of fitting an ej20 engine into my van and am considering what/which extra gauges to fit.
I’m currently thinking of an extra water temperature and oil pressure gauge to monitor the engine.
I rather like the “Durite” gauges, what do others use? I also am not sure wether to use electrical or capillary? The capillary fittings are smaller and neater on the engine are they more accurate? Final question, where is the best position to fit the sensors on the engine?
Thanks
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Re: Auxiliary Gauges for ej20

Post by mshaw1980 »

I have a vdo oil pressure and temp gauge on mine, the ones brickwerks sell. I have them mounted in the double pod gauge where the ashtray was. On top of the Subaru engine, behind the power steering mount and just under the inlet manifold is a bolt in the oil gallery which once removed can be used to mount the pressure sender. Mine is electrical as I don't like the thought of a long oil pipe going all the wa from the engine to the gauge.
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

I saw a nice pod mounted rpm gauge on Funky Power website for £230

Googleize a Search for Defi Racer Tachometer in "Funky Power" (jap car accessories uk supplier).

On e bay exactly the same one (albeit with different name on gauge) is under £30 delivered within a week from China.

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

Thanks for the replies guys.
Good to know there is a place for an auxiliary oil pressure gauge.
Not sure I will go with tachometer at the moment, will consider later when up and running.
When you use the reversed water coolant pipe, is there a place for a water temp gauge to be fitted?
Cheers
John
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Woodyyellow wrote: When you use the reversed water coolant pipe, is there a place for a water temp gauge to be fitted?
Cheers
John

Yes, the same vw sender fits into the reversed manifold (the mod rjes does to it) and drives the guage.

The ECU has its own temp sender elsewhere for actual temp, which then also controls the rad fan and replaces the vw radiator thermoswitch function (after the conversion, the old thermoswitch will just be a bung). Assuming you're going rjes method or similar, which I think you are?
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed