Early Diesel Electrics to interface with Subaru Loom ??

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Early Diesel Electrics to interface with Subaru Loom ??

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

Looking for some advice on the loom for my van.. 1982 1.6CS - using the RJES kit to install a Subaru Legacy EJ20

Im going subaru from a 1.6 CS - so part of the conversion is adapting the subaru loom to interface (plug n play) with the needed wires from the VW loom. Richard from RJES does the work on the loom and to complete the loom conversion sends a PDF photos with all known options of connectors contained in the black box bolted to chassis. Ons different for petrol/diesel/early/late models .

Customer then says which type he /she has and matching connectors added to Subaru loom. Simple !

My problem is that the connectors in my black box don't match with any this he has seen although they are def undisturbed factory

Might it be that v early diesels didnt have connector multi pin plugs, and wires went straight from loom to the components - alternator/solenoid/guages ?

Electrics are not my strong point so any help to describe to Richard accurately what I have and how he can adapt the needed connections would be appreciated.

MODS = I have posted also in Electrics - hope thats ok as I wanted to make sure of finding someone who might be able to advise - Thanks

Best

Matt

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Early Diesel Electrics to interface with Subaru Loom ??

Post by multisi »

Whats in the black box in left side corner of the engine bay wall ? Can you see any big white round connectors.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

(oh ....And thxx for the £ transfer - wasn't expecting )

Anyhow - no white round connectors just x3 multi pin block connectors in the box on chassis rail in engine bay by rear NS light .

1 block of 4 wires = all in line... Grey/white trace, Blue, Grey/red trace, Grey/black trace
1 Block of x3 wires with 2 brown wires joined to going to 1 connection, 1 brown wire to another, and 1 grey with green trace to 3rd
1 block of 4 wires - 2 black with blue trace going to 1 connection - 1 black with red trace 1 black with white trace and 1 black with green trace

Richard reckons from the wire colours that they are not the ones he needs for the engine to talk to the ecu or gauges - I sent him a photo and he;s not seen those colours before...

I need to trace back from the relevant components to see if indeed the relevant components do "plug" to the main loom or they are directly connected without a multi pin.

:ok
Last edited by matt brighton on 30 Jul 2018, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

What do the multi pin connectors look like and what colours go into the loom .
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

if you can pm me your e mail I can sent a nice clear photo

im

matt.easteal@gmail.com

:ok

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Post by Smcknighty »

Did you solve it? (1982 diesel van and I’m starting to think about Subaru in the future)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Yes

I ended up taking my van up to RJES to collect the kit and let Richard have a look.

The contents of the plastic box with door on near side of engine bay are purely lighting - early 1982 CS hasn't got multi pin plugs for the components that later vans have plugs for - this just means that I have to wire direct about 5 of the connections - alternator light/oil pressure/temperature - ign live

Hope this helps when you come to it..

I have had to renew the complete fuel system which was an unexpected cost -

new tank is about £80 - but associated pipes and the filler neck is different bore - so you need filler neck - the n elbow, new seals etc etc bumps that up to over £200.

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Post by Smcknighty »

K good to know, £200 is a kick, hopefully it will all be worth it at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Its nearer £240 -

the missus was given an optimistic estimate of final costs ..

She's not 'appy :cry: