diesel starter removal

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

IAN-H
80-90 Mem No: 0

diesel starter removal

Post by IAN-H »

Any tips for this? I've removed the two s/motor bolts, and the forward stay for the clutch slave cylinder bracket hopeing to rotate the cylinder/bracket to clear the s/motor flange; doesn't want to move! How is it fixed to the spigot where the clutch release pivot rod comes out of the gbox. Should I be able to rotate the slave cyl bracket around this? AArgh!
Ianh

mrdp
80-90 Mem No: 9366

Re: diesel starter removal

Post by mrdp »

Did mine a couple of weeks ago . , removed the lead to the battery Undid the two large bolts for the starter, then simply rotated the starter to clear the clutch slave cylinder ( with a little push using a large screw driver ) and it came right out. Fitting as reverse . This was on a 1.6jx what is you diesel??

dogbreath100
80-90 Mem No: 6251

Post by dogbreath100 »

Use a large screwdriver to lever the cylinder
away from the starter .
1984 1.9 diesel1y

IAN-H
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by IAN-H »

Thanks for the various tips. My engine is a 1.9TD. I've tried rotating the motor, but, because of the pinion shroud on the motor fouling the ring gear it won't turn enough. As far as "persuading the bracket away sufficiently, it seems to need a gurt big effort,more than enough to bend/break something. The fixed point seems to be where the bracket encircles the clutch release fork shaft.Any more ideas before I try the spinach and tyre lever bit?
Ianh

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

IAN-H wrote:I've tried rotating the motor, but, because of the pinion shroud on the motor fouling the ring gear it won't turn enough. As far as "persuading the bracket away sufficiently, it seems to need a gurt big effort,more than enough to bend/break something. The fixed point seems to be where the bracket encircles the clutch release fork shaft.Any more ideas before I try the spinach and tyre lever bit?
Ianh

I took out my starter recently for a refurb, and had exactly the same problem. I had to use a lump of wood and a club hammer to gently rotate the bracket until there is just enough clearance to rotate the starter till it will come out. You might have to bleed the clutch hydraulics when you've finished, as this can let air into the slave cylinder.

When you replace the starter don't forget to tie the cables to the side of the solenoid with a big fat cable tie. If you don't, vibrations can break the connection stud on the solenoid.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.