engine keeps stalling intermittingly

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

plumber
80-90 Mem No: 0

engine keeps stalling intermittingly

Post by plumber »

My T25 keeps stalling when coming to a halt, then after half a days driving everything becomes normal with good tick over, which is fine for about three weeks, then all of a sudden for no reason I lose my tick over again, which eventually rights itself! This has happened three times so far in the last ten weeks, any suggestions how to fix? The carb is a Solex 34 PICT...........many thanks

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Re: engine keeps stalling intermittingly

Post by DoubleOSeven »

I'm going to guess it's item 1, but few other items to check if not...

1. Idle Shut off Valve: Check you have power to the idle shut-off valve on the carb. With the ignition on, either pull the connection off and use a voltmeter to check that it has 12V, or touch it on the shut-off valve and listen for the characteristic 'click'. No click = borrow one to check then replace (bit pricey)

2. Does the Vac Advance on the Dizzy passed the Suck/Blow test? No = borrow one to check then replace (again bit pricey)

3. Increase the idle speed screw temporarily: It should then idle, but when cold the idle will be too fast. Once you get to that point, check ignition timing and re-adjust idle once done.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic