Cooling system 1.9 dg

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pieman1
80-90 Mem No: 8418

Cooling system 1.9 dg

Post by pieman1 »

Hi last weekend I was coming home when my engine put a big bang and cloud of smoke appears behind us
No red lights but smelt hot I drove home ok , I had a look at the tank behind the number plate it was nearly empty,
So took it to the garage swaped thermostat, belts, waterpumpp put in coolant but still looks to be running hot
No oil in water/ water in oil

pieman1
80-90 Mem No: 8418

Blue cooler cap

Post by pieman1 »

Hi I need some advice I am over heating 19dg t25 I can blow through the blue cap on the header tank and when hot no water coming through I can pull the pipe off when hot no water comes out is this right

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Cooling system 1.9 dg

Post by Ian Hulley »

Hiya, in the past you put ...

pieman1 wrote: I have 1.9 d T25 1990

So, is it a petrol 1.9 or a non-standard 1.9 Diesel of some sort ? Add the vehicle details to your profile. :wink:

The Blue 'Dalek' cap has a pressure valve in it which allows the hot cooling system to expel liquid above a certain pressure from the header tank (in the engine bay) into the top-up tank (behind the cat flap) and as the system cools and contracts allows it to return into the main system.

A working cap should 'quack' if you blow down the spigot when it's off the van ... ALWAYS buy original parts for these as JK, GSF etc sell crap copies ... buy the expensive one from Brickwerks. https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... ne-vw.html sadly out of stock at the moment though.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Blue cooler cap

Post by Ian Hulley »

Please see my reply to your previous post. :ok
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure