Alternative engine overload.....

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mrnickmuss
80-90 Mem No: 0

Alternative engine overload.....

Post by mrnickmuss »

I have been trawlling the forums and internet and have become a bit overwhelmed.
So I have come back to my trusted source; you helpful people of CLub 80 90, who have helped me get out of some oily mangled metal, rusty, burnt out wiring kind of holes over the years.
So here goes...
I have a 1991 LHD Doka. I have an AAP gear box and probably oversized tyres 215/80 on 15" merc steels.
I bought this seven years ago with my redundancy, since then it has been my daily driver for my self employment.
Five years ago I fitted a good AAZ engine and after a water leak I really cooked the engine.
18 moths ago I bought an ebay 'special' which I was assured was good to go. (I know, I know, I can hear the collective groans as you read this!)
After 5 months of trouble the head gaskett went. So I had it skimmed and refitted. Since then all was well apart from being a bit oily, until this week when it died. My guess is it has either dropped a valve or the timing tensioner has failed (thanks oldiebutgoodie) Either way its pretty knackerd.
So my choices are get another AAZ... (Hard to find a good one and I think underpowered for what I need.)
So that leaves me with the quandary of what next?
As I said I am self employed running the Tanglewood Project. (check us out on Facebook!) I work mainly with children and young people who are either deaf or have special needs. (My Doka has become part of the team and everyone loves it, always lots of questions and they love climing on the back to help unload)
Amongst other things I build timber framed roundhouses and shift timber up and down hills all over Devon.
So what are my options?

I am currently thinking buy a donor car with a tow bar which will potentially get me back on the road, drive it for a while to make sure its good and give me opportunity to save up.

So what engine?

I am aware there is pressure from the current government to get old diesels off the road. So is the TDi route a sensible option? is it also the easiest option?

Subaru? EJ22/EJ25 There seems to be alot of people love them. What are the issues swapping to petrol? Would I need to change the fuel tank? Will my fuel consumption go up significantly?

GTi? fuel consumption? Torque? How does this compare to the other two?
My finances are tight usually working hand to mouth. but if its going to future proof my Doka for a few years I am willing to save and buy bits as and when. I dont need something that breaks the soundbarrier. I need it to be a workhorse that can get up the hills.
I am a practical person and did the last engine with minimal back up from a friend who is a mechanic. The head gasket I did very much on my own.
Unfortunately this time my mechanic mate is off work long term with cancer. So I am doing this solo. So I dont want to over complicate things.
Finally is there anyone local to me I can hook up with to see their conversions?
I know there's huge amount on info online and over the past seven years I have read sooo much of it and as a result keep changing my mind as to what is the best way forward.
A clear voice relevant to my circumstances right now would be a huge help.
I don't want to have to buy some soleless white van which I dont know the history of and find myself gutted when it dies and I have got rid of my pride and joy!

Thank you for reading my rather lenghty post!

I look forward to your responses.

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: Alternative engine overload.....

Post by syncroandy »

I've experience of fitting both TDI's and Subaru's. From what you've said I would recommend neither of these on grounds of cost and/or complexity, and suggest the 'GTi' route. TBH is seems a no-brainer to me, as you've got all the major fitting bits you need there already. Your existing gearbox should be OK to use as-is.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

mrnickmuss

Post by mrnickmuss »

Thanks Syncroandy.
Have you fitted a GTI previously?
What is the best one to fit?
I have just had a flick around on ebay and very few Mk 3 GTi with sensible mileage currently out there.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

You need to seriously consider fitting an AGG out of a Mk3 golf.
You'll not regret it, okay they do use a bit more fuel but it's still possible to get 28 mpg out if them.

We have a great Facebook group VWT25 GTi conversion club which has lots of info to download and read.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Everyone I have spoken to who has gone AGG/ADY from diesel haven't looked back.
Flexible, torquey, real-world mpg the same as the diesel and its quiet!
Just dont skimp on the downpipes, they have a noticeable influence on the torque delivery of the petrol inline 4.
I still have a '99 Sharan with a 92k ADY (clean running & had it since 2002) languishing near Woking, you can have it for a song as its for a charity.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

mrnickmuss

Post by mrnickmuss »

Thanks Silverbullet. I have been doing more research and GTi does seem the way to go. As for your Sharan thanks for the offer... How would I get it to Devon? is it on the road?

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Its on a SORN, tyres etc are ok its just got tatty paint and a little scuffed up. Took it off the road a while ago when it still had mot because the aircon pulley had got slack and we didn't need the car, so didnt do the job.
It was our family car all that time. Had two coils (they only seem to last 6-7 years) and a starter motor, one breather hose iirc.
Supremely reliable motor.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Post in General chat, you can have the car if someone else can shift it down to you.
There is still some 80-90 spirit about, if you ask. I'll find a half-decent battery and get it run up, there's still a few gallons of 95 RON in the tank.

mrnickmuss

Post by mrnickmuss »

SilverBullet I will PM you..

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

You still in Crediton bruddah?

I’ll make you a loom at cost if it’s for your charity :ok

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

...and that's how we roll.

jan

Post by jan »

Just saw this post. What a bunch of gorgeous people you (we) are. Wouldn't it be great if all the world was just a bit more like this. But it is really. Please let us know how this works out and good luck.