Keeping Diesel Tank for Subaru Conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Keeping Diesel Tank for Subaru Conversion

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

Im installing a petrol subaru into what was a 1.6CS . Its recommended to use the 2.1 fuel tank because it has the correct outlet/retun size pipes.

As mine has the older metal filler neck I'm looking at thick end of £250 I hadn't budgeted for to buy complete system new.... tank and all the trimmings such as new elbow,filler pipe, gaskets,balance pipe,grommets, plus feed and return pipes when theres nothing wrong with the diesel tank I have apart from the bore of the outlet tube

Has anyone just fitted/wielded correct size pipe inlet/outlet or any other clever work around ?

seems expensive to be replacing the complete fuel tank and supply system all because of a feed pipe bore difference of a few mm of bore just for the length of the metal outlet tube - if it won't restrict the flow to the 2.0 NA engine ?

Thanks

Matt

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Keeping Diesel Tank for Subaru Conversion

Post by multisi »

Having a clean fuel supply is very important when doing the conversion, if the tank in your van is the original its very old and could have rust issues which will kill the injection pump you are going to fit. You could save a bit by getting a second hand plastic filler neck , I have an original fuel injection pump you could have for a fiver. Taking the tank out also lets you do other important jobs like replacing the gear linkage bush on the chassis for early models, and checking if your handbrake rod/cable needs replacing. When I did my diesel to Subaru I opened up the loom and found the smaller red wire that goes to the battery and re routed that to the new position while I had the tank out.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Re: Keeping Diesel Tank for Subaru Conversion

Post by matt brighton »

Thanks for that - and yes please :ok

PM me your details and I can p pal you the money +postage immediately

Thanks again -

thats a great help as now I'm getting to the point of buying stuff... its becoming a fair bit more expensive that I budgeted for - so a pump for a fiver is a godsend

Best

matt