Golf GTI MK2 1995 Engine Concerns

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bungleburch
80-90 Mem No: 0

Golf GTI MK2 1995 Engine Concerns

Post by bungleburch »

I have currently installed in my van a Golf GTI 1.8 Petrol engine. It's a new van to me that I have only had for approx 4 weeks now, so I'm not sure if the conversion was completed by the book :P . But it seems to be suffering from fuel starvation when running in slow traffic. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the increase in engine temperature that you might expect as it seems to happen suddenly regardless of the position of the temperature guage. Could it be dirt in the fuel filter? When it happens the engine loses power and threatens to stall. If you floor the accelerator it doesn't respond immediately but will rev up occasionally and then die away. The engine will stall and it often doesn't want to restart. Then it seems to cure itself and will be fine until the next episode in slow traffic.

Added note: it idles under no load fine (I've had it idle well over 2 hours without a hitch) but the moment it starts to struggle when driving it will require a big squeeze of the pedal to keep it going.

Any suggestions are welcomed, as I really don't want to blindly replace parts just to find out it was something simple.

Thanks,
A Newbie Van Owner
VW T25 (T3) 1985
Current fitted engine:
Golf GTI 1.8 16V K- Jetronic Injection

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Re: Golf GTI MK2 1995 Engine Concerns

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Wilbur had the same issue. Swapped his fuel pump out, problem solved.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

bungleburch

Post by bungleburch »

DoubleOSeven wrote:Wilbur had the same issue. Swapped his fuel pump out, problem solved.

My pump does make a racket when operating (but have been told can be normal)... But does seem to be providing adequate pressures. It also seems to still have yellow writing on the pump -- does this mean it was a salvage pump? From a junk yard or something.. maybe previous owner already tried that.

Is there anywhere official I can get refurbished/secondhand pumps? Or is it a case of looking for anyone breaking down their van? /eBay searching..

Thanks for the reply anyhow,
VW T25 (T3) 1985
Current fitted engine:

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

I assume you are running on K Jetronic.

Cleanliness is next to godliness with those. Being stood causes issues, particularly in the warm up regulators which is a crucial part of the system, even when warm.

You can start replacing components if you like (fuel filter is an inexpensive start), but after that you really need to be able to inspect fuel injector delivery pattern, measure system pressure, control pressure and fuel pump / injector delivery volumes otherwise you'll run the risk of spending lots of money without solving the underlying issue.

Yellow crayon type markings on components often means they are from a scrapper, (or recycled component if you like)

Noisy fuel pumps are common, they can last for years with no ill effects, or suddenly fail. How clean is your fuel tank inside ?
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

bungleburch

Post by bungleburch »

937carrera wrote:I assume you are running on K Jetronic.

Cleanliness is next to godliness with those. Being stood causes issues, particularly in the warm up regulators which is a crucial part of the system, even when warm.

You can start replacing components if you like (fuel filter is an inexpensive start), but after that you really need to be able to inspect fuel injector delivery pattern, measure system pressure, control pressure and fuel pump / injector delivery volumes otherwise you'll run the risk of spending lots of money without solving the underlying issue.

Yellow crayon type markings on components often means they are from a scrapper, (or recycled component if you like)

Noisy fuel pumps are common, they can last for years with no ill effects, or suddenly fail. How clean is your fuel tank inside ?

Thanks for the reply,
From the looks of things the tank seems to have only just been replaced.. Similar story with the fuel filter.. both look like they were replaced last season by the looks of things. Which tells me that maybe this has been a problem experience before... And an attempt at fixing it has occured or maybe I'm being silly :P

The fact that the pump is pumping I'm thinking it's not the problem, however, it does 'get noisey' rather than a constant racket.. hence why I'm thinking the delivery to the pump may be intermittent, so I think although the filter looks new no harm in swapping it for a new one and seeing where I am after that.

I've been running an injector additive that claims to help clean injector tips that seems to be slowly improving things, the vans history states that it hasn't really had a good run since at least two seasons ago with its milage only going up by 1k in that time. I'm hoping it's just dirty **fingers crossed**

I'll update the post soon with an audio of the filter (if that would be helpful) as well as some information I find out as I learn -- this VW is big and scary.. LOVING IT SO FAR!

Thanks for the help.

E D I T.. Need to find out more about that warmup regulator, sounds like it could be a culprit. Anyway to adjust them?
VW T25 (T3) 1985
Current fitted engine:

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

bungleburch wrote: From the looks of things the tank seems to have only just been replaced.. Similar story with the fuel filter.. both look like they were replaced last season by the looks of things. Which tells me that maybe this has been a problem experience before... And an attempt at fixing it has occured or maybe I'm being silly :P

Sounds entirely plausible

bungleburch wrote: Need to find out more about that warmup regulator, sounds like it could be a culprit. Anyway to adjust them?

Loads of stuff on the internet. However.... it is not for the inexperienced, most places will simply install a new one, you need a decent garage that knows their way round K-Jet and how it works and how to adjust it (it's not strictly adjustable) and don't forget time is money. You also need a set of fuel pressure gauges to take system and control pressures as I said earlier and remeasure each time you adjust the WUR.

I have a decent understanding of K-Jet, have the fuel pressure gauges and have adjusted a number of WUR's. If fuel is discoloured it's highly likely that there is rust / crud in the mesh filter within the WUR, it is VERY difficult to remove. I spent a couple of days last year working on one that I just could not get into spec. In the end I concluded I needed to get the fuel tank removed / refurbed before I could have a chance of setting the control pressure correctly. 12 months on the tank is done but not back in the car. :roll:

I do know of one place that will refurbish and set up a WUR for you, about £200 off the top of my head I think. New is more than that, but there are many Bosch WUR designs (turbo, altitude adjustment etc) so prices too.

Some bedtime reading for you if you like
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... ade-easy_2

bungleburch

Post by bungleburch »

937carrera wrote:
bungleburch wrote: From the looks of things the tank seems to have only just been replaced.. Similar story with the fuel filter.. both look like they were replaced last season by the looks of things. Which tells me that maybe this has been a problem experience before... And an attempt at fixing it has occured or maybe I'm being silly :P

Sounds entirely plausible

bungleburch wrote: Need to find out more about that warmup regulator, sounds like it could be a culprit. Anyway to adjust them?

Loads of stuff on the internet. However.... it is not for the inexperienced, most places will simply install a new one, you need a decent garage that knows their way round K-Jet and how it works and how to adjust it (it's not strictly adjustable) and don't forget time is money. You also need a set of fuel pressure gauges to take system and control pressures as I said earlier and remeasure each time you adjust the WUR.

I have a decent understanding of K-Jet, have the fuel pressure gauges and have adjusted a number of WUR's. If fuel is discoloured it's highly likely that there is rust / crud in the mesh filter within the WUR, it is VERY difficult to remove. I spent a couple of days last year working on one that I just could not get into spec. In the end I concluded I needed to get the fuel tank removed / refurbed before I could have a chance of setting the control pressure correctly. 12 months on the tank is done but not back in the car. :roll:

I do know of one place that will refurbish and set up a WUR for you, about £200 off the top of my head I think. New is more than that, but there are many Bosch WUR designs (turbo, altitude adjustment etc) so prices too.

Some bedtime reading for you if you like
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... ade-easy_2

Thanks for the information. I'll start with a fresh filter for now, and I'll keep running the additive too. Got to get this baby singing! Can't have it in the garage for the season ahaha!
VW T25 (T3) 1985
Current fitted engine:

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

iirc in the car the fuel system originally has a lift pump in the tank to ensure a good supply to the main delivery pump, our tank being gravity feed can provide insufficient flow to the main pump which then starves and the fuel gets aerated, pumps get hot because they are lubed and cooled by the fuel exacerbating the issue

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Aidan wrote:iirc in the car the fuel system originally has a lift pump in the tank to ensure a good supply to the main delivery pump, our tank being gravity feed can provide insufficient flow to the main pump which then starves and the fuel gets aerated, pumps get hot because they are lubed and cooled by the fuel exacerbating the issue
Just use a T3 injection tank and filter/pump set up, doesn't need the lift pump, all we've ever done, never had any issues.
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... ystem.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

bungleburch

Post by bungleburch »

Simon Baxter wrote:
Aidan wrote:iirc in the car the fuel system originally has a lift pump in the tank to ensure a good supply to the main delivery pump, our tank being gravity feed can provide insufficient flow to the main pump which then starves and the fuel gets aerated, pumps get hot because they are lubed and cooled by the fuel exacerbating the issue
Just use a T3 injection tank and filter/pump set up, doesn't need the lift pump, all we've ever done, never had any issues.
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... ystem.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the information. I have a feeling I might have a pump, that as Aidan said, is getting hot and not pumping so good. The pump fitted to my van is actually from the original golf engine. Which I assume is an 'injection pump' anyways... Unless your one is different in some way? The tank I believe was changed around the time the engine was fitted so almost certain they would have installed a injection tank.

Just for my information, what is the difference in the tanks/pumps that make them injection capable? Just diameter of the inlet/outlets and pressures?
Thanks,

Chris
VW T25 (T3) 1985
Current fitted engine:

Theclash
80-90 Mem No: 14346

Post by Theclash »

Mk2 golf only made up to 92 are you sure it's not the agg engine from mk3 and it defo won't be kjet that was replaced by digifant 88 onwards unless it's a 16 valve kr engine from the mk2

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Good point, OP had better check or post a photo of the engine bay

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Post by bmouthboyo »

Just thought I would throw my 2pence in as I have been running a GTI Kjet which was installed by a previous owner in 94!

The main things which made a big difference to my running:

1) Larger outlet fuel tank suited to injection engines (if it has not already been replaced with one)
2) Quality Kjet specific fuel pump as they are rated to 6.5bar
3) Injectors spray pattern correct / cleaned injectors
4) Air leaks! This engine needs absolutely no air leaks as the air flow directly lifts a flap to control fuel delivery
5) Exhaust. Mine had a diesel for years with a single down pipe etc. What a difference my new custom (Wolfie) exhaust makes at higher speeds.
6)Timing / fuel. These need to be timed old school with a light. If setup correctly to 6 degrees BTDC then it should be run on 98 octane!

Like you I had no idea about these engines to start with but actually grew to like the simplicity...once setup correctly.

I am actually currently upgrading mine to an AGG from a MK3 Gti, mainly for increased fuel economy and that little bit more torque. I will have some parts for sale soon if you are interested (2 WUR's, 8x injectors, 3 metering heads, fuel pressure tester, timing light)
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion