To 1Y or not to 1Y?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DavidS
80-90 Mem No: 1

To 1Y or not to 1Y?

Post by DavidS »

I'm in the middle of doing up my van and having largely finished the bodywork and painting, my thoughts are turning to the engine. It's currently a 1.7ky which is in good condition (it had a new head etc just before I bought it a few years ago) and was running nicely before I took it off the road. However, as these are pretty underpowered by any standards, I have always expected to replace the engine and being a fan of keeping things simple, bought an old mk3 Golf (failed MoT and beyond repair) last year for its 1Y engine. The car runs and the engine seems ok, but as with any used engine it will always be a bit of luck as to how good the motor actually is.

I want my van to be as reliable as possible and so given my requirements of:
Keeping it simple (ie wanting to stay away from TDi electronics).
A bit more power, not going mad, just happy to have enough to travel on the motorway safely etc.
Sticking with diesel (probably!?).

My question is this; do I carry on with the old 1Y as planned or do I go for a reconditioned 1.9 diesel, go for a recon JX (I've always liked the VW 1.6 td engines having had a couple of Golfs in the past with other variations on this unit) or something else that I have not thought of?

I'm leaning towards some sort of recon unit at the moment for piece of mind. I gather AW engineering in Darwen are good for recon engines - any other suggestions?

I will be getting a garage to do the mechanical work as engine replacement/fettling is slightly beyond my experience level and I want it to be right!

I may get a variety of answers and I know it is a much discussed topic, but thought I'd get some ideas.

Thanks.
1990 RHD pop-top camper 1.7ky.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Re: To 1Y or not to 1Y?

Post by boatbuilder »

I fitted a 1.9d aef engine to replace my old 1.6d cs engine. I bought the new engine for 100 euros. I just fitted a new crank oil seal and transferred over all of the other bits from my cs. I'm very happy with it, especially after changing my tyres and rims to give a 10 percent increase in size.
Like you say, theres not much to go wrong with these engines.
A 1.9 with a turbo would give more power but you'd have more things to go wrong and you'd have to do something with your gearbox and clutch to get the benefit of the extra power.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

A good KY with a turbo and pump from a JX is the stage one. Altough there will be a turbo that need some attention.
A 1.9D will have higher fuel consumption with about the same power. But its a bit hard to find low mileage ones nowadays. Maybe from Skodas or Seats.
The most powerful and reliable solution is a 1.9 SDI either with electronics or custom built mechanical pump. But that can be expensive.
Last edited by ZsZ on 01 Jul 2018, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

rob1927
80-90 Mem No: 11027

Post by rob1927 »

A JX is a good little engine, but still lacks the power on motorway inclines. I currently have one, and have done for the last 5 years.
I’ve been around Europe 3 times with it, once up to finland with my Mrs, two kids, all our luggage, a full musicians PA system and two guitars. It ran completely flawlessly as I’d had it rebuilt. It’s my daily driver too and can honestly say it’s a good solid engine it’s just about not got the guts in modern motorway traffic. Overtaking tractors is bit nerve wracking and I very rarely do it as I could really end up in trouble!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud owner of my 1.6TD JX '89 Caravelle, other wise known as -'that which is usually broke'.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

If you already have a good 1Y, I say go with that as a first stage. Then when you know it works, 10% longer gearing either using taller tyres like Boatbuilder says, or a petrol gearbox, or a 0.78 top gear in your existing gearbox. Keep it simple non-turbo.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I'm still leaning towards the 1Y as I'd like to keep things as simple as possible ie no turbo. The 1Y I have is still in the car, but I'd like to get it re-furbed or at least checked over before it is fitted. I shall speak to some diesel engineers/experts about the best way to tackle this.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

If your 1Y has decent compression and oil pressure, that's about it really. Taking the alloy head off would introduce more unknowns, as it is unlikely to be reliable if you just bolt it down again without skimming (and you're not supposed to skim them). Sensible checks would be a compression test, and to temporarily fit a mechanical oil pressure gauge while it's still running in the donor car. Take the sump off and inspect inside, (You'll need to change sumps anyway). Take off the cam cover to inspect the cam and tappets. Fit a new rear crank seal while the flywheel is off. And of course a new cam belt and tensioner when it's in the van. Other than that, these engines are about as reliable as you can get.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Thanks Colin the fox; that's all useful hints. I shall try and get someone on board before it comes out of the Golf.

David.