Juddering on a hill start

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

daveroberts
80-90 Mem No: 15798

Juddering on a hill start

Post by daveroberts »

Trying to work out why i sometimes get engine juddering on hill start.
Have a 1990 Cali with a AAZ in the back. So, here's how it goes...standing start on a hill, revs up and just about to get the clutch to bite,,,does not bite but instead get a juddering out the back somewhere that builds up and feels a bit like a washing machine in full spin with too many towl's in (hopefully you get the picture) then i play with the clutch, give some more revs and off we go. It's just had a new gearbox mount fitted. It has been lifted so wondered if the CV joints were giving up with the new geometry. Clutch...But thought i'd ask here for a bit of input.

cheers

Dave
1990 California AAZ

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Juddering on a hill start

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

My van usually does it from the start off each time, my solution is to have the handbrake on and slip the clutch driving against the brakes whilst in reverse. After that there is no problem, it is as smooth as a smooth thing - I think that mine is caused by living by the sea and the attendant moisture is causing rust on the surfaces as I also get it on the brakes after a couple of days non-use.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

phil_b
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by phil_b »

Had the same problem a few years back, also with an AAZ conversion. Very severe judder first thing in first or reverse, but eventually it started doing it whenever moving off from a standstill, only way to overcome was lots of revs and slipping the clutch a lot. Tried all the usual, engine mounts , gearbox mount etc but had discounted the clutch as it had only done 25k but in the end that's what was causing it. Replaced the clutch immediate cure, no obvious damage to old clutch but the replacement had much beefier looking damping springs. One clutch was a LUK and the other a Sachs but can't remember which was which.

Still going strong on replacement clutch 5 years later and 40k later with no return of problem
1988 T25 Holdsworth Villa Hightop - AAZ conversion

daveroberts

Post by daveroberts »

Thanks guys, a bit more exploration needed on my side i think. Thanks for the help.
1990 California AAZ

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Mine did it straight from a new full clutch, had already done the gearbox mount and engine mounts were fine.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

Which bushes are you replacing with? My clutch juddered and & replaced the gearbox bush with a Powerflex & it's be fine ever since.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

daveroberts

Post by daveroberts »

Hi Captain, did the same and replaced the gearbox mount bush with Powerflex. Hasn't cured it but may have made it a little better.
Think a quick look at the engine mounts might be needed as OBG said. Cheers
1990 California AAZ