Subaru conversion question -diesel engine cradle

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Subaru conversion question -diesel engine cradle

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

A member has bought my 1.9 aef and its going into what was a DG engined van.

Im putting a subaru in using RJES components - he is taking out a 2.1 petrol from a sincere van that originally had a 1.9DG

Will I need to keep the diesel engine cradle bars to bolt the RJES cradle to ?.... or does the RJES cradle bolt direct to the body... ?

He'll obviously need mine or buy the bars from a breaker if I do

Thanks
Best

Matt

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Subaru conversion question -diesel engine cradle

Post by multisi »

The RJES engine mount is bolted on to the chassis rails where the diesel mount would have bolted to ,once in place you have to drill an extra hole through the edge of the rail to put the third bolt in. You need to relocate the battery to under the front seat and install a long thick starter cable from battery to starter, maybe you could do a swap with the chap who is buying the diesel engine, you give him the diesel battery tray and starter cable and earth and he give you the long starter cable if its ok.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Oh I see - thanks

So he's going to have to get hold of the x2 chassis rails to bolt my engine into his petrol one then if the RJES cradle mounts to those...

Its the 2 tubes that run either side , front to back under the engine

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Matt
I have a LMB Technik Subaru mount available, it's like the small car one and uses the wbx engine bar and rubber mounts if you get that from your guy with the 2.1 wbx - advantage of using a rear mount for the scooby is it gives you something to attach exhaust back box to

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Thanks Adian

Im on a steep learning curve and think I understand ... I just need a few more days to research and get my head round all thats involved...

I have a make do exhaust that do for now -

pm me what you want for it ... thanks for the post and appreciate the input

Best

Matt

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The chassis rails I mentioned are the part of the van, you can get rid of the diesel carrier bars.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

multisi wrote:The chassis rails I mentioned are the part of the van, you can get rid of the diesel carrier bars.

Thanks matey

Richard from RJES just confirmed the same thing - so thats all good for the guy buying my engine as he's going from a petrol ....to Diesel

Best

matt