Exhaust supplier EJ20 ?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Exhaust supplier EJ20 ?

Post by matt brighton »

Good Morning,

Am about to tale the plunge.... using the RJES kit,

Can anyone here point me to a supplier who can "knock up" an exhaust for me ? _ I'm not after anything fancy, beautiful or stainless, just to get me going.

Something mild steel using off the shelf bends just to get me going - even the known costs are all landing a bit dearer than expected, and thats before those unexpected costs.. so I'm looking to just get by for a while until funds recover enough to get a bespoke work of art.

I think the kit from RJES comes with heads and manifold in standard bore ptpe to connect to clamp to

Thanks

Matt

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: Exhaust supplier EJ20 ?

Post by slowcoach »

The rjes exhaust doesn't exist as far as I know. You know how out dated his site is! If it's just get you going, then you can use the Subaru original headers and just turn it round so it faces the back of the van. Then cobble on a silencer of your choice. It might hang low, but I ran one for a while. Actripbto Edinburgh, trip to mid wales. Even passed an mot because the guy was into it :-)Image
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

Hi Matt
As you know, I'm into the change now, looking for parts and bits just like you.
The exhaust does seem to be the most difficult to solve at an acceptable price.
I'm looking at and considering the following that I've seen on the "bay of thieves"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/97-05-Subaru ... 0290.m3507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ImageScreen Shot 2018-06-22 at 09.12.06 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

It looks to me as if it will fit around the oil pan and then with a small amount of modification be able to connect a suitable silencer to it. I've not ordered one for myself yet, plenty of other things to spend my budget on at the moment.

Cheers, John
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

just need to think aboiut the carrier bar youre using (rjes?) and also the height- the stock subaru headers drop quite low, compared to something bespoke. i borrowed s smallcar exhaust from Dai, which wouldnt work with the rjes bar (only the smallcar one i presume)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Thanks both for the replies - its useful and encouraging to hear what you are doing or have done

i will keep you posted and post anything i think may be useful to share

Matt

Goldfeesh

Post by Goldfeesh »

In my beetle I just put a stock one on backwards and bolted a modified bike can to it as above. It is low but I haven't replaced the sump yet and it's better to scrape through an exhaust than a sump haha. Cost me 20 quid plus a favour from a mate!

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

If it's of any help Matt, i've got a GSXR exhaust your welcome to if you want to go down that route (i was going to do the motorbike can conversion on my later DG, but have now bought full stainless) - i even had a mate make a plate up so would just require a connector pipe made up.

Might do you for the time being? I can take some photos if that helps.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

300CE wrote:If it's of any help Matt, i've got a GSXR exhaust your welcome to if you want to go down that route (i was going to do the motorbike can conversion on my later DG, but have now bought full stainless) - i even had a mate make a plate up so would just require a connector pipe made up.

Might do you for the time being? I can take some photos if that helps.

Ooooh - that sounds good - it would at least get me going - what do you want for it ? (pm me if you prefer)

Thanks

What a great forum this is...

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Goldfeesh wrote:In my beetle I just put a stock one on backwards and bolted a modified bike can to it as above. It is low but I haven't replaced the sump yet and it's better to scrape through an exhaust than a sump haha. Cost me 20 quid plus a favour from a mate!

Thank you for the reply too

It seems that its not going to be the issue I originally thought - at least to get me going -

The costs are coming in a lot steeper than I originally thought - I originally budgeted £1500 - £1800 - based on other peoples previous experience - albeit a few yrs ago -

and Im now looking at the thick end and north of £2.5K with the RJES Kit - Donor engine / loom conversion - etc etc and I was worried that this exhaust would be the straw - so to speak - that meant I would have to pull out as I couldn't justify the cost..

Im a bit unwell at the moment - thoughh I fully expect to be better - so this is a project the chancellor (my wife) gave the green light to go ahead with .

Your advice and that of others is a lifesaver - and I'm so pleased it looks do-able and I'm looking forward to sharing anything useful here for others

Thanks again

Matt

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

PM sent Matt :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb