GTI Conversion Questions from a very early past conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

GTI Conversion Questions from a very early past conversion

Post by bmouthboyo »

Hi Guys,

I am currently getting ready to convert my current MK1 GTI engine to a MK3 GTI. My current conversion was completed a long time ago by a previous owner back when these were not common so many of the parts are adhoc to say the least.

One issue I have is I am not sure where these engine bars / mounts are from:

At the moment they seem OK but I would like to know more about them so I can replace the rubber mount at some point.

More questions to come but thought I would start here :)
Last edited by bmouthboyo on 20 Jun 2018, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: AGG GTI Questions

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I don't recognize them, the ally bit looks the same but the steel mount is not similar.

But it looks like all the parts sit in the same place.

If you want I can take photos of the separted parts that I have ready for my transplant.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

That would be great thanks.

I will take some more pictures tonight hopefully. I am hoping they will line up with the AGG as they are currently used on my MK1 gti 1.8 lump.

Also I think my exhaust mounts are 'bespoke' by the looks of it, do you have an image of yours?

Thanks again

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I have yet to build my exhaust but it will be a VW Sharon downpipe from the manifold, into a Cat (must have over here), then into a flexi bit and finally into a Merc W124 back box side exiting in front of the offside rear wheel.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Titus A Duxass wrote:I have yet to build my exhaust but it will be a VW Sharon downpipe from the manifold, into a Cat (must have over here), then into a flexi bit and finally into a Merc W124 back box side exiting in front of the offside rear wheel.

For me I don't seem to have standard mounting brackets for the exhaust, so not sure what they should look like with my sump. I will upload pictures later :)

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

OK here are some pictures of my engine bars and mounts:

Offside

Nearside:

Not sure what best to do about these. I am hoping my AGG fits OK with them. Curious to know if they are fabricated or from a vehicle.

Also my exhaust mounts don't look OEM either:

Offside:

Nearside:

If anyone could shed some light on these that would be amazing, Thanks :ok

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Here's a link to a Google album - https://photos.app.goo.gl/71H8hojv5BepUmcR6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Re: GTI Conversion Questions from a very early past conversion

Post by garyd »

Is your MkII Gti mounted upright or at the 50* position the factory used for diesel engines? E D I T - I've now spotted the factory diesel sump in one of the photos so 50*.

The tubular parts of the engine mounts fit in the factory locations and I think might be the early diesel parts. The brackets welded to them for the rubber mounts I am not familiar with but they may be standard early parts.

The twisted steel strip connecting the ally mount arm to the sump is not factory nor appropriate. The sump thread normally carries the front end of a long triangular strip which picks up the other two bosses and then carries the metalastic exhaust mount at the back. The steel and rubber exhaust mounts shown appear custom made.

I suggest that you research the early, non-turbo, diesel mounts and exhaust to confirm that is what you have. If it fits the PB engine OK I think it will also take the AGG. You'll need new rubbers at the very least.

I would be interested in a couple of photos from above. Especially on the left side. Before I did my AGG conversion I considered the PB/MKI engine but found that it needed 'modification' to the nearside chassis rail to clear the inlet manifold. I would like to see what's been done with yours.

Are you aware of the Fb group 'VW T25 GTi conversion club' at https://www.facebook.com/groups/256191624580607/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? Lots of good info and answers there.

Hope this helps.
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine