EJ20 Alternative "original equipment" ??

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

EJ20 Alternative "original equipment" ??

Post by matt brighton »

Morning,

This will be relevant to T25 owners after 2019 as some of us have vehicles registered in 1980

Looking at the DVLA guidance... Im unsure how the install of a Subaru will affect a future vans eligibility for registration as a Vehicle of historic Interest (VHI) ...and therefore MOT and Tax exemption that a vehicle currently over 40 years old currently enjoys unless it has been "substantially changed". In my case it will be fuel type as well - I think thats ok - just different tax class.

I will ask DVLA , and let you know how I get on - has anyone here looked into this already ??

It seems to me that if I install a Subaru engine - I will miss out on one or both of the exemptions........

Matt - Brighton

Update... I have sent an enquiry for asking about the change and how it will affect exemptions as VHI...

Having now done more research on DVLA site and BVHI site (and after an initial fright on guidance saying that a 15% increase in power to weight ratio qualifies as substantial) - the DVLA have now settled on the 8 point system currently used (phew !) ... its just now if they will accept an engine with same layout and no of cylinders but from a different manufacturer will be as acceptable.... as an engine from same manufacturer with same layout and no of cylinders albeit bigger cc ..which currently is ok..

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Re: EJ20 Alternative "original equipment" ??

Post by matt brighton »

Update

DVLA got back to me within a few hours of me sending the enquiry and after advising how to notify the changes confirmed that changing at the engine to a Subaru would not disqualify the camper from the tax and MOT exemption when it reaches 40 years old - YAY !!!

:ok