Glow plug question

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bernard1973
80-90 Mem No: 4684

Glow plug question

Post by bernard1973 »

I'm hoping someone can help with this as we're off for a week to Scotland soon and will be putting some mile in..

When I turn the ignition key the glow plug light comes on, but doesn't go off. I wait about 30 seconds or so and crank the engine (with the light still on) and the engine starts fine and the light goes out. Any reason to worry? :?
1988 1.9D (aef) Caravelle Firetruck

Timburrows
80-90 Mem No: 14187

Re: Glow plug question

Post by Timburrows »

Probably temp sender or wire off temp sender

bernard1973

Post by bernard1973 »

Timburrows wrote:Probably temp sender or wire off temp sender

Thanks Tim, where are they and how do I check them? I've got a Skoda AEF 1.9d engine in it.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

bernard1973 wrote:

Thanks Tim, where are they and how do I check them? I've got a Skoda AEF 1.9d engine in it.

The sensor should be on the rear of the cylinder head (that's towards the front of the van) in the heater pipe flange. The heater flange should be the aluminium type which only requires one wire, not the plastic type with a plug connection for two wires.

The wire should be blue/white.

The wire may have been disconnected to make hot starting easier. If you reconnect it and then find you have a hot start problem, it can be easily solved by adding a 600 ohm resistor in the wire to the temperature sender.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

bernard1973

Post by bernard1973 »

colinthefox wrote:
bernard1973 wrote:

The sensor should be on the rear of the cylinder head (that's towards the front of the van) in the heater pipe flange. The heater flange should be the aluminium type which only requires one wire, not the plastic type with a plug connection for two wires.

The wire should be blue/white.

The wire may have been disconnected to make hot starting easier. If you reconnect it and then find you have a hot start problem, it can be easily solved by adding a 600 ohm resistor in the wire to the temperature sender.

Thanks Colin, I'm off to Alnwick for Dubfest this weekend so I'll give it a bash next week. At least it looks like I'm not damaging anything by using it?