New T25, has a TDI Passat engine

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tyredandcranky
80-90 Mem No: 0

New T25, has a TDI Passat engine

Post by tyredandcranky »

Firstly, I love this forum already. It's only been a week and I've had an enormous amount of info from you all, and the Wiki is now my new bible!

I just have a question I couldn't find already asked, but maybe you guys could link me to a thread that exists already.

I have a bus with a 1.9TDI 110hp Passat engine, installed professionally back in 2012 from the invoice. I just want to know just how much of the extras would remain from the original 1.9 Petrol?

Would the cooling system be original? Gearbox?

Sorry if this is a stupid and obvious questions, but servicing and brake disc and pad changes are the extent of my knowledge. I am extremely keen on becoming a bus whisperer over the course of ownership!

She's a high top full conversion and already given us some of the best family days out we've had!
Golf Sport MK4 Estate - 1.9TDI PD130
T25 Aztec High Top - 1.9TD AAZ

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: New T25, has a TDI Passat engine

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Welcome.

Firstly, are you sure that it is a TDi? It could well be an AAZ which is a TD but not a TDI.

The chances are that the bus was originally a 1,6TD model and if it has changed to an AAZ they will simply just swapped the motor (and a bit of electrical work). It will have the original gearbox and cooling.

Post a photo of the engine and we will be able to tell more.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

tyredandcranky

Post by tyredandcranky »

Titus A Duxass wrote:Welcome.

Firstly, are you sure that it is a TDi? It could well be an AAZ which is a TD but not a TDI.

The chances are that the bus was originally a 1,6TD model and if it has changed to an AAZ they will simply just swapped the motor (and a bit of electrical work). It will have the original gearbox and cooling.

Post a photo of the engine and we will be able to tell more.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I'm pretty sure, from the invoice which states it came from a 1.9TDI Passat PD 110hp variant. I will post as much detail as I can when I get home!

E D I T: The original engine was 1.9 Petrol, stated on the DVLA website.

Rich

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Okay a PD motor is a TDi.
If it was done well it will have an upgraded gearbox which will have the gearing to suit the PD motor.

The cooling system will be the same regardless.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

tyredandcranky

Post by tyredandcranky »

Titus A Duxass wrote:Okay a PD motor is a TDi.
If it was done well it will have an upgraded gearbox which will have the gearing to suit the PD motor.

The cooling system will be the same regardless.

I have an invoice for a 'reconditioned gearbox' in 2008. I'm guessing it might not be the correct one for the new engine...

It's only got a 4 speed box but I'm currently considering the AAC code gearbox from a Passat B4. Is that the correct code. My friend said he can do it in 3 hours.

Worth it?

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Are you talking about a flipped box if so I believe the best option is the audi box.
If you do go this route then you'll need adaptors, etc. all of which you can get from Tim at ultimate engineering.
If you have the 4 speed box from a petrol engine bus it will probably be undergeared.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

tyredandcranky

Post by tyredandcranky »

Titus A Duxass wrote:Are you talking about a flipped box if so I believe the best option is the audi box.
If you do go this route then you'll need adaptors, etc. all of which you can get from Tim at ultimate engineering.
If you have the 4 speed box from a petrol engine bus it will probably be undergeared.

Really helpful, thanks! I'll give Tim a shout.

tyredandcranky

Post by tyredandcranky »

Here’s a link to the album:

https://m.imgur.com/a/bkouYoZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would love if anyone could cast an eye?

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I'll leave it to others, I'm no diesel expert - I converted to 2.0l 8v petrol.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

tyredandcranky

Post by tyredandcranky »

Titus A Duxass wrote:I'll leave it to others, I'm no diesel expert - I converted to 2.0l 8v petrol.

Ha! You had me fooled when you asked for pics.

Oh well, anyone car to tell me if this is a proper TDI from a glance?

tyredandcranky

Post by tyredandcranky »

The garage that did the work was called Little Compton, GLOS, G56 0RR.

Any info would be much appreciated!

randolph57
80-90 Mem No: 5801

Post by randolph57 »

That is definately not a pd engine. looks like a 90/110hp tdi variant as fitted to passats judging by the angle of the oil filter with a AAZ INJECTION pump connected.
Dont know what the performance is like-do you have a turbo fitted? i didnt think that type of pump would operate the injectors correctly but it must be ok if its been like that since 2012.

aah should of looked at last picture !!

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Post by sweetaswesty »

The options with a TDI are generally (a) an electronic injection pump (which you don't have) along with a grafted in donor wiring loom, ECU and likely/possibly an immobiliser of which you would be aware; or (b) an expensively or lovingly fabricated mechanical pump that will allow the TDI to do its stuff without the electronic gubbins. It could be the Lower Compton people had the technical wizardry to achieve this - could you google them and ring them up?
But this does look a bit like a TD mechanical pump which would make it a bit unlikely the engine is doing its PD best and delivering 110bhp. The alternator also looks like it might have come off the same engine as the pump.
Apart from the bolt on bits the turbocharged 1.9s all look a bit samey, but the cam cover is from a 1Z or AHU at the latest I think, not a PD.
Tbh I would expect a 1.9TD AAZ conversion to actually look something like this.
1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

tyredandcranky

Post by tyredandcranky »

randolph57 wrote:That is definately not a pd engine. looks like a 90/110hp tdi variant as fitted to passats judging by the angle of the oil filter with a AAZ INJECTION pump connected.
Dont know what the performance is like-do you have a turbo fitted? i didnt think that type of pump would operate the injectors correctly but it must be ok if its been like that since 2012.

aah should of looked at last picture !!

Thank you!

Should of looked at last picture?

tyredandcranky

Post by tyredandcranky »

sweetaswesty wrote:The options with a TDI are generally (a) an electronic injection pump (which you don't have) along with a grafted in donor wiring loom, ECU and likely/possibly an immobiliser of which you would be aware; or (b) an expensively or lovingly fabricated mechanical pump that will allow the TDI to do its stuff without the electronic gubbins. It could be the Lower Compton people had the technical wizardry to achieve this - could you google them and ring them up?
But this does look a bit like a TD mechanical pump which would make it a bit unlikely the engine is doing its PD best and delivering 110bhp. The alternator also looks like it might have come off the same engine as the pump.
Apart from the bolt on bits the turbocharged 1.9s all look a bit samey, but the cam cover is from a 1Z or AHU at the latest I think, not a PD.
Tbh I would expect a 1.9TD AAZ conversion to actually look something like this.

The invoice states electronic pump.

Unfortunately the company has now dissolved.

The van has visited the alps 3 times and toured the UK and Spain so I’m guessing it’s a good one.

It has a turbo for sure and a new one was fitted in 2015 at a cost of £395.