Not turning over.

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

barneyrubble
80-90 Mem No: 12221

Not turning over.

Post by barneyrubble »

Beryl is disgracing herself and starting to leave us stranded on an increasingly regular basis.

Turning the ignition to start and you always hear the click of the starter solenoid but she doesnt turn over.

Beryl is an 1986 Westy Diesel (now 1.9 non turbo), I have replaced the crimp on the solenoid wire, checked the main wire to the battery, replaced the battery, replaced the starter motor, checked the earth on both engine and gearbox. All of the above looks good to me and checks out with a meter.

I am guessing at this point it is the ignition switch but the only instructions I have seen to test it refer to jumping the think red to red/black wire. I only have a thick red and cannot locate a red/black wire.

She did eventually start this morning with repeated atempts and random wiggling of relays in the fuse box under the steering wheel but I dont think any of those are related to starting? (I was desparate at this point). She is due her MOT next saturday so I need her to start and we are booked to go away, so I am keen to resolve this.

Anything I have missed? Replacing the ignition switch looks to be a real faff. An unreliable Beryl makes it even harder to persuade the missus to come out in her!

Thanks

Matt "Getting to the end of his ideas" C
1986 Westfalia Joker 1.6TD (Now 1.9 VW Normally Aspirated)

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Not turning over.

Post by 937carrera »

Most likely problem is power cable, earths or ignition switch. Bush, battery and starter also feature as suggestions.

Have a read of this thread http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 2#p8213892

Doing an in-situ test is a bit fiddly, but an excellent diagnostic approach and can avoid replacing good items for no reason
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

A camper that won't start is probably the most frustrating fault you can get.

If it were me, I'd try and rule things out. As a first, try removing removing the small spade terminal from starter and replace it with a length of wire to positive on battery and see if starter spins when you turn ignition. If it does, you know its the wire you removed or ignition switch. If it doesn't. its likely to be starter. That doesn't mean you need a new one but we can advise on what to check/replace in starter - probably solenoid or brushes.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Ralph - the starter motor has already been replaced

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

If solenoid clicking then probably not ignition switch although cheap enough to replace to rule it out. Possible even with a new starter for a fault to develop, depending on who made/built it. One of those things thats difficult to diagnose without being there.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Just had a look at the wiring diagram for a diesel to make sure it's no different to petrol.

The ignition switch just provides power to the starter relay (normally known as solenoid), so if that is clicking in, then I can't see the ignition switch being the problem.

Apart from that you have only positive from battery to starter and earth connection for solenoid / starter.

That's why an in-situ test can eliminate the starter as being a problem and the issue being the wiring.

As an alternate for the full in-situ test

1. Use jump leads to provide a direct earth from the starter back to the battery
2. Use a jump wire to provide power to solenoid +ve from the starter +ve. (Do this with ignition on, van in neutral, you'll be underneath it !)

All the above assumes the battery connections are clean & tight from when you replaced it.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Indeed. Not unknown for a poor connection at battery to provide insufficient power for starter but ok for everything else.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

937carrera wrote:
1. Use jump leads to provide a direct earth from the starter back to the battery
2. Use a jump wire to provide power to solenoid +ve from the starter +ve. (Do this with ignition on, van in neutral, you'll be underneath it !)

All the above assumes the battery connections are clean & tight from when you replaced it.

You don't need to be underneath to get to the solenoid - it would be difficult to reach from underneath, you would need very long arms :D . Do it from the top.

I notice that you say that "the wiring looks good to me" and "checks out with a meter" - you can get continuity but a joint can still fail when power is applied. Most of the wiring has been exposed to road salt and the elements back there for 30 years and corrosion builds up in the crimps and tracks back down under the insulation. It is usually better to cut off the terminals and re-make the connections, replacing any cables that are turning black and or green under the insulation. For example I was losing 1/2v from the alternator to the battery as this is a distance of roughly 1ft it was obvious that something was amiss - the crimped terminals each end were full of corrosion, cable and terminals were replaced and normal service was resumed.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

If required: http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... ain_cables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:
You don't need to be underneath to get to the solenoid

You're right of course OBG - I'm just more used to thinking air cooled with the tinware restricting access, not the case with a WBX

Oldiebut goodie

It's not even one of them - it's a diseasal! :D
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:It's not even one of them - it's a diseasal! :D

Don't do them at all, unless I really really have to. :)

barneyrubble

Post by barneyrubble »

Thanks everyone, thats helped clarify things for me. At the cost Ive ordered another ignition switch from brickwerx like the starter motor etc. If theres still issues I will remake all the major cabling, since theres little else to do! I have already done the wire to the solenoid since I wasnt happy with that.

..and yes dodgy diesel, wasnt what I would have shopped for but this was bought off someone we sort of knew, abandoned on there drive way. A westy for 1200 cant be turned down, the 1.6 turbo has now been replaced with a 1.9 normally aspirated vw lump and its drives well (when it starts), far better than the old lump.

Thanks again, will report back!

Oldiebut goodie

If you get really stuck after this I could come up and take a look - I can't guarantee a solution but may be able to find the problem area. How long before you are wanting to get away?
Once you have a diesel set up and running you tend to find that there are far fewer problems than the petrol guys have with fuel pumps/ignition system etc.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

barneyrubble

Post by barneyrubble »

Thanks everso - an extra pair of hands is a good idea since I struggle to be a the ignition switch and at the engine at the same time!

Finger crossed this will sort it, part turning up this week, MOT booked in for 8am saturday lets hope she starts! I think we are booked to go away 8th June so I have a few weeks to panic and sort this. Its a massive get together of friends and I am the only one camping they are "glamping" So I dont want to be embarrased like I was at the same event last year!

Thanks again

Matt