Subaru conversion electrics - how do I???

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Hoopy_Frood
80-90 Mem No: 12752

Subaru conversion electrics - how do I???

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

Hopefully this makes some kind of sense

My new loom from Felllows doesn't have any wiring on it for the coolant level sensor or the alternator. None of these connections go into the subaru ecu so in theory it should be relatively easy to add in a little subharness
(I really, really hope). My old converted loom (bought with the engine) did have these connections included but the two looms have been put together very differently and I can't see how to copy what was on the first one onto the second one.

I still have the original vw plugs in the engine bay black box (single pin 12v hot, single pin 12v switched, two pin coolant level sensor, two pin alternator wiring) but how do I wire it all together?
Is it just a case of wiring the switched 12v supply into these wires somewhere?
1984 T25 Poptop EJ20 conversion

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Subaru conversion electrics - how do I???

Post by silverbullet »

Ah ha...the Subaru Hitachi alternators are rather "smarter" than the old VAG Bosch units and require some clever wiring, otherwise you will have a permanently illuminated battery warning lamp.
I removed the Subaru before I ever got that detail sorted, so can offer no more info on the matter.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: Subaru conversion electrics - how do I???

Post by syncroandy »

The coolant level should be straightforward, the sender in the tank connects to VW blue/green and brown.

The Subaru alternator regulator is connected via the oval plug on the alternator (there's and early style and a late style but they are both 2-pin) which requires a battery positive input via a 10A fuse (commonly a white wire) which is best connected to the VW battery positive stud in the junction-box. The charge-lamp (D+) is on a black-white wire which connects to VW D+ on the blue wire.

E D I T: Oops, sorry just noticed the original post date date.. a bit late to reply now !
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004