Subaru ECU buzzing and not starting

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Subaru ECU buzzing and not starting

Post by multisi »

Van was starting really good then turned the key to start and had electric fizz noise from maybe fuel pump area, I charged up the battery and now only sound is a loud buzz from the ecu as soon as key is turned. I have read that insufficient power to the ecu can make the relays buzz. Any ideas on this one. Its an early 2.2.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Subaru ECU buzzing and not starting

Post by silverbullet »

No idea, maybe a bad earth? but but if you need them, I have a complete early 2.2 injection system (no lambda) with loom, ecu etc.
Ecu has integral warning lamp for fault codes, brown label MAF.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

multisi

Post by multisi »

Ok sounds like the parts you have may be for the same engine as this one, I was about to do an engine /gearbox swap on this van and fit a 91 2.2 and box Aidan recondition for me ages ago, so will pay more attention to the earth straps and see whats up with the wiring on the early engine before that goes into the lle and get that sold - cant afford three of them !
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

multisi

Post by multisi »

I have swapped the engine / gearbox, loom and ecu ,new fuel pump and connections inc earth, cleaned up or renewed the other earth straps ,all connections tight. Went to start and the same thing has happened ! I could hear a pop again from maybe fuel pump area . So could this be the van electrics that is the problem ? Has the fuel pump shorted out ?

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Does the 2.2 have the two green diagnostic plugs you connect together, to cycle test all the relays and fuel pump?
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

multisi

Post by multisi »

Yes both sets of plugs are still in place, when I tried to turn the key the second time there is now a sound coming from the area where the ecu/relays are, this is what happened with the first engine/loom/ecu that was installed,just happened one day before that it was fine. Now this has happened again with another engine and loom/ecu, im now thinking could the vw electrics be the problem but what would cause this to happen ? I will test the first fuel pump in the morning to see if its dead.

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

That's a bummer after all that work. So when you connect the green plugs and ignition on, do the relays click on and off, rad fan goes, fuel pump cycles on and off? If that all works, then it must be the vw side I suppose. Fuel pump earth?

I've had a non start once when the dash pod multiplug had loosened.... u say it just happened suddenly. Though I guess you've had that Al out anyway with the new install. Not sure what runs through there from the Subaru start wise, but it wouldn't fire at all.
===================

multisi

Post by multisi »

Swapping the 2.2 engines was something I had to do , I have to swap all the engines so I can sell the LLE with a smaller engine and keep the 3.3 for the other lhd van. I have just tested the fuel pump that was on when the problem first happened and that seems to be still alive ! so perhaps things aren't getting damaged with this problem, I thought at first the pump, ecu was toast . Could this problem be something to do with the ignition switch ? I read somewhere that the Subaru relay will make a noise if insufficient power is getting to it. I have a low mileage steering column so will get the switch off that and try it in the van.

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

if you have a spare ignition switch, you don't have to properly install it into the column to use it. just pull off the column connector off the end of the barrel and hook it up. turn it with a screwdriver. it doesnt release the steering lock obviously, so there's still the security there. you get buzzing from the relays then, as soon as ignition is on, before any cranking?
===================

multisi

Re: Subaru ECU buzzing and not starting. Problem solved.

Post by multisi »

Problem solved, something simple , it was the battery earth strap on to the battery post that needed a good clean. I need to wear my glasses a bit more often ! Thanks .