1.9 AEF engine failure - looking for some advice!

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RedSquadronLeader
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.9 AEF engine failure - looking for some advice!

Post by RedSquadronLeader »

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a 1990 T25 (original a 1.9 Diesel) which had previously been converted to a 1.9 AEF diesel. Unfortunately the engine went bang last weekend and put a rod through the engine head.

So I'm now looking at what options I have infront of me. I've made a LOT of phone calls this week and researched this forum for options of what could be done. The answer is there clearly are lots of options :D and it depends on how deep your pockets are!

Unfortunately I'm not mechanical so couldn't attempt a conversion myself. I'd love to get people's thoughts on potential options and any recomendations of companies that undertake this type of work. If anyone is also selling any good working engines that could be used for conversions that would be great to know. Basically any advice, thoughts and pearls is wisdom would be hugely appreciated.

Best regards

Lewis
(Based in Northamptonshire)

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: 1.9 AEF engine failure - looking for some advice!

Post by colinthefox »

I would have thought your best bet would be to replace with another AEF engine out of a VW Polo or Skoda Felicia. It would be a good idea to try and find out why your old one failed, in case it was something to do with the installation, so the same thing doesn't happen again.

AEF engines are still readily available at reasonable prices. Many scrapyards have them even if they don't advertise them on eBay. They can be good and reliable if properly installed.

Changing to a turbo engine would involve sourcing all the turbo specific parts, and probably installing a separate oil cooler, so it would be much more complicated.

The other option would be an AGG(?) petrol engine I believe, but I know absolutely nothing about them. This should have performance advantages, but obviously less ecconomical.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

RedSquadronLeader

colinthefox wrote:I would have thought your best bet would be to replace with another AEF engine out of a VW Polo or Skoda Felicia. It would be a good idea to try and find out why your old one failed, in case it was something to do with the installation, so the same thing doesn't happen again.

AEF engines are still readily available at reasonable prices. Many scrapyards have them even if they don't advertise them on eBay. They can be good and reliable if properly installed.

Changing to a turbo engine would involve sourcing all the turbo specific parts, and probably installing a separate oil cooler, so it would be much more complicated.

The other option would be an AGG(?) petrol engine I believe, but I know absolutely nothing about them. This should have performance advantages, but obviously less ecconomical.

Thanks Colinthefox, what engine would be the one to look at in regards to a turbo diesel? Would this be the AAZ engine, and/or something different?

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

RedSquadronLeader wrote:........what engine would be the one to look at in regards to a turbo diesel? Would this be the AAZ engine, and/or something different?

I have no knowledge of the turbo diesels available. I much prefer the simplicity of the NA engines myself. Someone else will have to help you with that.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I'd be interested to find out how and why the AEF failed. I have one too!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

I put my AEF in a few years ago - with help from colins posts - and its been great - :ok

Hope you get another - I would avoid the turbo option if its low maintenance and reliability you are after...... though I have no reason to believe that the turbo is troublesome ... just more to go wrong for marginal gain.

I would recommend going big on the tyre choice - makes a helluva difference putting the 225's on

RedSquadronLeader

matt brighton wrote:Hi

I put my AEF in a few years ago - with help from colins posts - and its been great - :ok

Hope you get another - I would avoid the turbo option if its low maintenance and reliability you are after...... though I have no reason to believe that the turbo is troublesome ... just more to go wrong for marginal gain.

I would recommend going big on the tyre choice - makes a helluva difference putting the 225's on

Hi Matt, this is probably going to be a stupid question but what's the benefit of larger tyres? Mine's been lowered by 50mm so I'd need to see if going larger would work or if it would be better going back to stock on the suspension.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I've just fitted 10 percent bigger tyres to mine. 205 70 r16.
It means that in top gear for example at 65mph, your engine revs are a bit lower so its easier on the engine.
Makes it more driveable on motorways and enables you to get into the fast lane and overtake things!
Its not a massive difference but enough to make it better.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Post by matt brighton »

RedSquadronLeader wrote:
matt brighton wrote:Hi

Hi Matt, this is probably going to be a stupid question but what's the benefit of larger tyres? Mine's been lowered by 50mm so I'd need to see if going larger would work or if it would be better going back to stock on the suspension.

Bigger tyre gives you lower higher gearing... mins as big as you can get on standard steel wheels and makes a helluva difference. unless you are radically lowered theres plenty of room to accommodate the bigger tyres.

If you are worried then get just x2 part worn 225's fitted to the back wheels .... and if you are happy with the gearing then go for the fronts too.

Some obsess about speedo accuracy..... but taking sat nav as a benchmark all cars seem to over read and I think my speedo is more accurate when compared to sat nav reading since pitting the bigger tyres on.

Not quite overdrive but much less stressed when doing over 70 mph.