Aaz conversion?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Benny1stT25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Aaz conversion?

Post by Benny1stT25 »

Hi I am new to the forum (and t25's) but looking the forum felt I should join as It could be beneficial to my project. I bought a high top t25 with a 1.6 Diesel engine, after the first hill I knew it would need something more. I have now purchased an aaz engine from a Passat and wondered what the essentials were for the change? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks Ben

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Re: Aaz conversion?

Post by Al Housman »

I have done a few of these. There is plenty of info here and on Brickwerks.

Watch out for the right hand engine mount holes on the Passat engine. These are not used when it's fitted to a Passat so can be badly corroded by the time you fit it in a T25. Check them and replace (helicoil etc) if necessary.

Take it from me it will save you heartache in the long run!!

Good idea to fit an oil cooler too.

Good luck.

Robjackson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Robjackson »

Sorry for the hijack of the thread. But......

What makes the best AAZ? Everyone seems to have different opinions and it would be good to put all ideas in one place. Many people seem to talk about “too much JX in it” or intercooler vs charge etc.

What’s everyone’s opinion? Best injectors? Ratios? Charge vs intercooler? What parts of jx? Turbo? Etc.......

I would presume most people are like me, wanting good power but not at the expense of the engine and gearbox.?

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Post by Al Housman »

For what it's worth...

Start with a good engine. No amount of bolting on coolers of any description will even out a well-used lump. I drove a long way to see a Golf with genuine mileage and full service history. Had a test drive then spent 1 hour removing the engine.. Before that I had bought 3 or 4 engines which reputedly had low mileage already removed from the vehicle. The worst lasted a week before throwing a rod!

Make it oil tight. Replace obvious things like oil pump, water pump etc

Check your radiator is good. You'd be amazed what a difference that can make. If yours is original it's been in about 30 years!

Then go for oil cooler etc.........