VW T25 Single cab pickup AAZ Exhaust

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Macadder
80-90 Mem No: 0

VW T25 Single cab pickup AAZ Exhaust

Post by Macadder »

I have searched through the forum to look for the information I was looking for, unfortunately I can't see the answer, it may be there, in which case please excuse this question. I have fitted an AAZ 1.9 TD into a 1991 petrol single cab pickup and want to know can a 1.7 JX turbo diesel exhaust silencer be used for the conversion, I realise that the turbo pipe will need to be modified, but will this silencer be large enough for this engine.

stove
80-90 Mem No: 7492

Re: VW T25 Single cab pickup AAZ Exhaust

Post by stove »

Hi , on my AAZ conversion I used the JX manifold and turbo so the pipe and JX silencer fitted and worked fine . The 1.7 NA diesel silencer may have a smaller diameter flange . :ok . Steve Heyes
1990 Westfailia Atlantic MV Auto

footstuck
80-90 Mem No: 7622

Re: VW T25 Single cab pickup AAZ Exhaust

Post by footstuck »

There is not a 1.7JX mate
If you have the 1.7 N/A silencer or the Petrol silencer, the silencer will need up sizing because as far as i know, the petrol boxes have baffles and the 1.7 N/A has a much smaller internal bore than required.
The baffles/small pipe size will cause back pressure in the exhaust and you will get a pressure imbalance across the turbo.
This will be caused by the lack of pipe diameter or restrictive exit speed due to the baffles and subsequent back pressure build.
The result of the back pressure will cause oil to be blown through the turbo's floating shaft housing (core) and into the air intake manifold via the compressor housing.
These oil droplets can cause the erosion damage to the compressor wheel due to its rotational speed (just like hitting water at speed, the oil becomes destructive debris).