Turbo conversion 1.6 jx

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Turbo conversion 1.6 jx

Post by Cecil »

If you have a careful look at the engine blocks near that glow plug bus bar loop and water pipe location you will see a machined strip with small faint letters/numbers, you will then have a clearer idea of which engines you have. I gather that the 1Y may or may not be fitted with the piston squirter jets ,you have to take the sump off and have a look ! If it has the jets it’s suitable for converting to turbo. You may also have to consider which exhaust manifold you can use ,that golf pump will require some measures to improve clearance from the engine lid , you may have to re-index the turbo , Also consider if your existing gear ratios are suitable for the improved Power .

rolling heavy

Post by rolling heavy »

Cecil wrote:If you have a careful look at the engine blocks near that glow plug bus bar loop and water pipe location you will see a machined strip with small faint letters/numbers, you will then have a clearer idea of which engines you have. I gather that the 1Y may or may not be fitted with the piston squirter jets ,you have to take the sump off and have a look ! If it has the jets it’s suitable for converting to turbo. You may also have to consider which exhaust manifold you can use ,that golf pump will require some measures to improve clearance from the engine lid , you may have to re-index the turbo , Also consider if your existing gear ratios are suitable for the improved Power .

Many thanks for your positive input Cecil. Allegedly the gtd engine came from a t25 but I take nothing for granted. My engine lids standard night so yes I may have hight clearance issues.

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

OK, odd didnt get any messages but guess that worked in your favour now :) If you have parts from the 1Y that you arent using in the conversion i'd be interested in buying (inj pump or other ancilleries etc)or alternatively if it's not a suitable block then bear me in mind for the whole thing. That aside, good luck with it all
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

The JX code was used for a very specific installation of a specific VW 1.6TD engine. in T25/T3 vans:
Volkswagen Type 2 (JX: 8/84-7/91)
Volkswagen Type 2 Syncro (JX: 8/85-7/92)
Volkswagen Type 2 (T3) (JX)

One recognisable feature of the JX is that the injection pump has a cylindrical LDA to the front of the pump rather than a saucer shaped LDA on top of the pump - this was to provide clearance under the engine cover. However some people also use the JX pump on AAZ or SB conversions so the presence of this pump configuration does not necessarily mean a JX engine is present.

The same engine as the JX but with slightly different ancilliaries had different codes when it was used in other vehicles. I believe some of these engines also used the JX style pump:
Audi 80 (CY: 02/82-03/87)
Volkswagen Golf (CY: 8/81-7/84, JR: 08/83-10/91)
Volkswagen Jetta (CY: 8/81-7/84, JR: 12/83-10/91)
Volkswagen Passat (CY: 8/81-4/88),

The first engine you pictured looks to have a GTD pump on it which suggests a 1.6TD SB or RA from a Golf or similar.

The 1.9 NA is likely to be a 1Y code engine - JX engines were only ever 1.6TD as above, as OBG has suggested.

The last lump looks like a very dirty JX.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

jaber
80-90 Mem No: 14334

Post by jaber »

Apologies for jumping on this thread, I have a 1y N/A in my van where would the TD be stamped on the block just incase I went down the turbo route?

Steve

footstuck
80-90 Mem No: 7622

Post by footstuck »

Just so you are aware, the oil squirters spoken of are to direct an oil jet onto the thrust side of the bore to aid heat dissipation and lubrication under the increased Power/heat output that the additional Fuel-Air mixture produces.
This extra lubrication prevents the piston skirt from scuffing and seizing.

If you simply bolt on the JX stuff you will (likely as not) get an engine seize.
A long climb on a hot day should do it!

clone123

Post by clone123 »

jaber wrote:Apologies for jumping on this thread, I have a 1y N/A in my van where would the TD be stamped on the block just incase I went down the turbo route?

Steve

Under the exhaust manifold
1985 RHD T25 hightop camper 1.9td 1Y engine
It's always easier with a friend