Best gearbox for high torque engine

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PICKLEBRANTON
80-90 Mem No: 0

Best gearbox for high torque engine

Post by PICKLEBRANTON »

I have a v8 t25. I want to improve the gearing as currently 2000rpm = 40mph with 16" 60 profile tyres. Is the flipped Audi box the best candidate ? Is the final drive better than the best standard t25 box? Will it mate to the vw adapter on my engine? What other bits are required? Doea a company provide a full kit for sky conversion installation?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Best gearbox for high torque engine

Post by multisi »

What gearbox do you have now.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Best gearbox for high torque engine

Post by silverbullet »

Flipped Audi transaxles don't last, this much is known.
They are cheap its true, but dont like having the "wrong" gears in the oil, the diff lubrication is compromised and they do fail suprisingly quickly.
Anyone who claims otherwise is either deluded or has a vested interest in keeping quiet about the truth.
If you want to lay down V8 power- and I am guessing Rover not Audi or another- you will need either a Porsche transaxle (££££) or a Renault UN1 (also ££££ but less than the Porsche) with the appropriate adaptor plate from kit-car circles but...
the whole power unit ends up being very long, so then you will be cutting the van about to make it fit.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk