Subaru conversion? - thoughts please

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Subaru conversion? - thoughts please

Post by CovKid »

Similar thoughts have crossed my mind over the 11 years I've owned mine, plus numerous helpful conversations with insurance companies. Whilst I'd love an aftermarket power steering set up for instance, insurers tend to throw their hands up in horror at major changes, since their business is all about financial risk - to them, not the owner. I have modified things, but nothing in terms of drive, steering or suspension. Any changes have centered on added strength or improved safety rather than performance. In the long run, thats likely to be a decision that will pay off.

Although I'd dearly love an engine with more grunt, common sense says you then have to upgrade brakes to match and then 'original' soon flies out the window. Insurance cover and compliance is based on factory standard. The problem comes when original parts are obsolete and you're forced into fitting something that was never tested by VW. Common sense also plays a part.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Goldfeesh

Post by Goldfeesh »

I have subaru power in my beetle, cost about 1200 to do mainly myself including donor car, all fitting kit, strengthening bar etc.

£6k to have one fitted sounds totally ridiculous to me. Im no mechanic and i can do it. Engine and loom (modified for plug and play) is approx 750 - 1000, rjes kit maybe another 1000. have i missed something major?!

E D I T : for my beetle my insurance went up from 120 a year to 150. van isnt finished yet so cant comment.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

CovKid wrote: Insurance cover and compliance is based on factory standard. The problem comes when original parts are obsolete and you're forced into fitting something that was never tested by VW.

It's not really though is it? You can declare any modification, and if they'll agree to insure it, then you're insured. Glynwood insurance didn't add anything onto my costs for changing the engine, it's just noted and covered.

If for some reason all Subaru blocks disappear from the planet if/when mine blows, I could go back to a wbx since nothing is even cut or irreversible. Although maybe then all the stock runners will hold them for huge ransoms :-):-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed