Diesel 1.9 1y conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rollingheavy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Diesel 1.9 1y conversion

Post by rollingheavy »

Hi all,
I have a jx 1.6 n/a diesel at present in my van which im looking to change for the 1.9 1y n/a diesel. I have read through the running thread but i cant see anything relating to the wiring differences on the Injection pump. The bosch pump on my 1y engine has 2 extra wiring blocks on it. I have worked out 1 is a fuel stop solonide the same as on the 1.6 pump but the other 2 i know nothing about.
Can anyone shed some light on these and what i need to do with them
Regards Trevor

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Diesel 1.9 1y conversion

Post by colinthefox »

No-one else replying, so I'll try to help, but with very limited knowledge of these.

I think the wires may be either:-
Cold start solenoid.
OR
Commencement of injection advance.

The cold start solenoid is pretty self explanatory, and you might want to keep it.

If it's the commencement of injection thing then it adjusts the timing for those engines which used an electronic control unit. As presumably you don't have an ECU, this won't be used. When you time the engine you will have to make some allowance for this. I have no idea how you do that!

[E D I T] It could also be the commencement of injection signal to the ECU. This is the one that is in the middle of where the pipes to the injectors connect to the pump. If you haven't got an ECU this won't be used. I believe you can remove this and substitute a plug from your old pump. [/E D I T]

I hope someone with more knowledge comes along soon.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

rollingheavy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by rollingheavy »

Many thanks for your help Colin. I thought there might of been more help from others. Not too worry I have an alternative now.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

What's been referred to as the cold start solenoid is more likely a waxstat, which is normally "on", it heats up, wax melts and let's the cold start come off when running. As it cools it pulls the cold start back on ready for next time. You can connect the wire from it to the fuel cutoff solenoid feed so it'll have a feed whenever the engine's running.

Sent from my B1-830 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran