Waltraud AGG from DG conversion starting

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Re: Waltraud AGG from DG conversion starting

Post by waltraud »

Oil thrower removed from petrol bellhousing but fits s not too lose in the diesel bellhousing?? Seems like they should be interchangeable. Can I use Jan weld or similarl to fix it in place, don’t want it moving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

waltraud wrote:Oil thrower removed from petrol bellhousing but fits s not too lose in the diesel bellhousing?? Seems like they should be interchangeable. Can I use JB weld or similarl to fix it in place, don’t want it moving!

Last edited by waltraud on 29 Nov 2017, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

ajsimmo wrote:No, you won't need that bit of loom. Thanks!
Did you use longer sump bolts? Ideally the ones from the donor diesel engine. The golf ones are too short to go through the thicker ally sump.

Sent from my B1-830 using Tapatalk
sump bolts I got 16mm Allen head high tensile, longer than golf ones, ok. Thanks Andrew. Struggling with new things Image

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

waltraud wrote:
Did you use longer sump bolts? Ideally the ones from the donor diesel engine. The golf ones are too short to go through the thicker ally sump.

sump bolts I got 16mm Allen head high tensile, longer than golf ones, ok. Thanks Andrew. Struggling with new things Image

Need return spring and it’s mount for the clutch arm.

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

waltraud wrote:
waltraud wrote:

Need return spring and it’s mount for the clutch arm.

Anyone know who supplies return spring for the clutch arm and the spring mount? Thanks

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

there's no spring on a hydraulic clutch set up only on the early air-cooled with cable clutch operation, the spring fits instead of the clutch slave bracket
Brickwerks and others sell the diesel lever arm 251 141 713 C

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

Aidan wrote:there's no spring on a hydraulic clutch set up only on the early air-cooled with cable clutch operation, the spring fits instead of the clutch slave bracket

Ah ha! Thanks Aidan, in that case when the clutch is depressed how does it not stay with the release bearing rubbing against the clutch, is it simply the weight of the thrust bearing that drops it back into position?

Last edited by waltraud on 30 Nov 2017, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

Aidan wrote:there's no spring on a hydraulic clutch set up only on the early air-cooled with cable clutch operation, the spring fits instead of the clutch slave bracket

How does the arm return?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

the clutch springs when released push the release bearing back which pushes the fork back and the arm returns to horizontal, exactly the same as your original DG set up, think how much force you are applying to operate the clutch, the clutch can make the same force in reverse

be aware you need the diesel rear linkage and diesel gearbox mount to ensure correct operation of the gears despite what people will tell you on facebook

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

Aidan wrote:the clutch springs when released push the release bearing back which pushes the fork back and the arm returns to horizontal, exactly the same as your original DG set up, think how much force you are applying to operate the clutch, the clutch can make the same force in reverse

be aware you need the diesel rear linkage and diesel gearbox mount to ensure correct operation of the gears despite what people will tell you on facebook

Oh bugger I didn’t know that- thank you, are there different diesel gbox mounts like years or 4/5 speed. I’ve got s petrol 4 dopes dg.

Is the one in this picture below right? Or do I need the actual diesel gearbox nose as I wondered if this mounting will fit onto the petrol box.

Shame as recently put in a poly bush on petrol mount but perhaps the bush will fit the diesel? Same mounting holes in the chassis I assume,

Anyone have a diesel rear linkage - 4 speed ( not sure if 4/5 spd any different. Appreciate the advice and experience [THUMBS UP SIGN]

! Image

Last edited by waltraud on 02 Dec 2017, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

waltraud wrote:
Aidan wrote:the clutch springs when released push the release bearing back which pushes the fork back and the arm returns to horizontal, exactly the same as your original DG set up, think how much force you are applying to operate the clutch, the clutch can make the same force in reverse

Oh bugger I didn’t know that- thank you, are there different diesel gbox mounts like years or 4/5 speed. I’ve got s petrol 4 dopes dg.

Is the one in this picture below right? Or do I need the actual diesel gearbox nose.

Shame as recently put in a poly bush on petrol mount but perhaps the bush will fit the diesel? Same mounting holes in the chassis I assume,

Anyone have a diesel rear linkage - 4 speed ( not sure if 4/5 spd any different. Appreciate the advice and experience [THUMBS UP SIGN]

! Image

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

waltraud wrote:
waltraud wrote:

Is the one in this picture below right? Or do I need the actual diesel gearbox nose.

! Image

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 344667.jpg[/

Facebook wisdom?

“ Diesel mount won’t fit the petrol box I had to make a mount for mine well Jamie Jamie Lockyer did using the original petrol plate and a rjes mount as I had to move the box towards the back of the van to reach the engine” ??

I realise that some vans will have had components changed or modified over the years but fairly sure mine has a standard 4 speed petrol box with poly bush.

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

Gearbox input shafts - diesel on the left, has no circling groove in the middle of shaft and is about 10mm shorter. My petrol one is in a bit better condition than the diesel one but i’m going to use the diesel one and sell the petrol one or possibly keep as a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

Shaft swapped, filthy job and fiddly. Cleaned up afterwards.

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

waltraud wrote:Shaft swapped, filthy job and fiddly. Cleaned up afterwards.