Oil light at startup

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

johninleeds
80-90 Mem No: 15771

Oil light at startup

Post by johninleeds »

Hello,

I've got a 1984 diesel with a 1Y 1900 NA in it.

Did an oil change the other week (putting TRIPLE QX Mineral Diesel Engine Oil - 15W-40 in) and since then my oil light has been staying on after starting for varying amounts of time, but up to 10 seconds.

If I start/wait til it goes out/stall/start again it doesn't stay on the second time.

Oil pressure switch
I don't have DOPS so it's a single .15bar oil pressure switch, and I've just replaced the switch to rule out a faulty switch.
Light never comes on while driving.

Oil level
Oil level is at the max mark on the dipstick, which is where it was before I did the oil change. However... I don't trust the dipstick is as it's not the engine's original (fixed in with black sikaflex or similar... engine had been swapped before I bought.)

When I did the oil change it took less than 4.5 litres to get to the max mark (probably closer to 3.75). At the time I wondered whether it was because I hadn't warmed the engine enough (though I did a bit) before doing the change. I could put another half a litre of oil in and see what happens but I'm concerned about overfilling and causing damage that way.

Any thoughts on whether this is likely to just be due to the oil level being low? Or could it be something else?
1984 converted panel van with 1Y 1900 NA Diesel engine.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Oil light at startup

Post by colinthefox »

Looks like the oil pump is slow to prime. A few seconds is not unusual. Did you change the oil filter? If so exactly which type number and manufacturer did you use? And did you tighten it correctly? Can you get the oil light to flicker if you use the clutch in any gear to slow the engine down when hot and idling? What was the consistency of the oil you drained out? Sorry for all the questions.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Oil light at startup

Post by colinthefox »

Oh, and is the cam belt good and tight? It runs the oil pump off the back of the belt so it can slip, especially on cold wet starts.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.