Loss of power on the motorway

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pleasestartnow
80-90 Mem No: 11015

Loss of power on the motorway

Post by pleasestartnow »

Hi all,

1.9D

Just been travelling about the last 3 days in my van and in the last hour it felt like it was losing power, particularly when going up small hills. It starting juddering and then there was a total loss of power and the van died. Pulled in and had a look about in the engine bay, no apparent leaks, fuel lines looked full(literally had only put in fuel this morning) and no leaks arpund the injectors. I had the timing belt done two months ago and it has been fine since. No idea what it could be or where to look. Stuck now on thr side of the road as i dont want to do ny damage or lose power in an area where i cant pull in.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Loss of power on the motorway

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

When did you last change the fuel filter? - good place to start.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

Ya thats what i was thinking. About a year ago maybe 18 months i say. There was a lot of bubbles in the fuel line when i stalled initially. Just ran her again there and just the odd one or two bubbles. There is a white dial on the underside of the filter. Whats that for?
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

The white dial is a water drain off tap...try opening it and drain some fuel/water off.
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

Did that and just got a huge air bubble into the fuel line. Had to suck fuel through to fill the lines. Have called the AA now anyway to tow me home. Dont have confidence in the van to not lose power again while on narrow roads i am travelling and become a dangerous obstruction.
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D