engine swap for 1.8T

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

batesy16
80-90 Mem No: 13576

engine swap for 1.8T

Post by batesy16 »

I am possibly looking at swapping my 1.9dg out for a 1.8T engine.

I have the chance of buying a whole car for a good price, so would everything I need for the swap be on this car or would I still need additional parts.

also I thought there used to be a link on the wiki page for an engine swap 'how to' - now im not sure if I have imagined that or not

could someone point me in the right direction as when I search nothing is coming up.

thanks in advance

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: engine swap for 1.8T

Post by Aidan »

There's not that many 1.8T installations over here, there's a good thread in this section showing the inlet manifold that one chap created so he could fit as per the diesel engine canted over at 50'; to do that you need a bunch of parts from a diesel van and you'll have some fabrication work still to do; or you can fit them upright using mounts and bellhousing adapters usually from the states or South Africa but you'll need to raise the engine lid to do that as well I believe.
Russel does this engine installation you'll find him on fb more nowadays, there will be a group for the 1.8T into T3 out there I guess, plenty of info on the Samba and on SA and German forums
AFAIK no one in the UK offers or has offered this engine installation as a done job other than Russel hence there isn't a one stop kit shop and parts list for it

batesy16
80-90 Mem No: 13576

Post by batesy16 »

what would be a better route to go down.

with regards minimum hassle, extra work that would need to be done.

or is it gonna be easier to try and extract some extra power from the existing engine. I know its never gonna be a racer but just a little extra would be good.

4x4 Bus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by 4x4 Bus »

Hi. I am not on here very often now days but as Aidan said above I do this conversion regularly. The 15 degree install is better. If you want details send me a PM.
Russel

woodguru
80-90 Mem No: 6202

Post by woodguru »

Hi Russell, where can I find you on FB ?? Dg lump buggered, so looking for an economical alternative to fit my T25 Auto transporter.

Terry
Doh !!!!!!! 1990 1.9 petrol auto transporter and 1985 caravelle ( project )