1.6 d to 1.9 d install help required in midlands

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

luke
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.6 d to 1.9 d install help required in midlands

Post by luke »

Hi, Looking for anyone out there who could help carry out an engine upgrade from original 1.6 non turbo diesel to a 1.9 non turbo diesel from a 1999 Polo. I have looked at the guides and don't think it this is something I could do on my own. Wondering if anybody out there fairly locally to Birmingham who could help me carry out this conversion to a good standard, would obviously pay. Alternatively any recommended professional installers. (hope this is not posted in the wrong place, apologies in advance if it is!). Thank you. Luke

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Re: 1.6 d to 1.9 d install help required in midlands

Post by boatbuilder »

I'd help if I was closer (Ireland)
I did that swap myself so if you have any questions fire away...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

luke

Post by luke »

Hi boatbuilder, thanks for your reply.

I looked at your posts the other day and saw the huge amounts of amazing bodywork etc that you have done on your van, looks good, is it all finished yet and how are you finding the AEF engine?
I'm most concerned about the electrics really as seems to be quite a lot of wiring going into the AEF in the polo, and people seems to discuss this the most on the forums.
I will have a bit more of a think about the swap and send a few questions your way in a couple of days if that is ok, the old polo can't sit on my drive for ever!

Cheers

Luke

luke

Post by luke »

Ahh just found your engine swap, great photos and very useful in addition to what colin the fox has done. (I think i presumed changing the engine would occupy more than one page out of 37!)
Incredible how much work you have put into your van.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Hi Luke

If you have a good look at my thread on Brickyard http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/1-6cs ... 52595.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (particularly the bit about the injection pump wiring) you will find the wiring is really not a problem. Most of it isn't used in this application.

I'm in Somerset, which is a good bit closer than Ireland. If you want to pop down and take a look you'd be very welcome to.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

luke

Post by luke »

Hi Colin, I have printed your guide off, need to get this AEF out and start getting to understand and work on it now really. Good job for the winter I guess.
Thanks for the offer of a visit, that sounds like a good idea so I may take you up on that at some point.

Thanks for your help.

p.s. Boatbuilder, I hope you have not been too badly affected by Storm Ophelia, keep safe.

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

The storm wasn't too bad where I am so there wasn't much damage done, just a good few small trees knocked down.
The AEF is still going well. I'd like to try some bigger wheels to help lower rhe revs at cruising speed.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

luke

Post by luke »

Pleased to hear no damage done in the storm.

I'm in the process of sorting my brakes and replacing my shocks, on the lookout for a cheap engine hoist so hopefully will be able to start making the prep work on the engine soon.

Im sure I will be firing a few questions the way of you guys when I get stuck.

Cheers

Luke

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Yes a hoist makes it all a lot easier. I did all of mine on my own using a hoist.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk