Out of my depth: My engine isn't a JX

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JonB
80-90 Mem No: 12941

Out of my depth: My engine isn't a JX

Post by JonB »

My van is currently at the garage after the engine blew its head gasket. I'd prepared myself for the worst and figured a new cylinder head maybe needed which turned out to be true. Got a call from the garage this morning and turns out my JX is actually a 1V engine so the new head isn't right (definately checked it's 1V not 1Y).

Details look a little sparse around 1V information but it's a 1.6d from either a Jetta or mk2 golf. Internet searches don't really come up with the option for a new cylinder head for it so thinking about a few options.

1V cylinder head
Not sure if they are available, the van seemed to go pretty well with the unit prior to blowing up so could be the cheapest option.

Source and replace with a JX
2nd hand could be iffy, reconditioned could be pricey. My previous van had a JX so was fairly comfortable and it would take the van back to how it 'should be'.

Source an alternative engine
So many options, guess it's a browse of this section of the forum. Is there a simple overview of what engines fit (1Y, AAZ) and the required 'fiddling' to make it work?
Viking Caravelle JX - Cheshire

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Out of my depth: My engine isn't a JX

Post by clift_d »

It's a 1.6TD engine that looks like it was mainly marketed in the US by VW - see Wikipedia's List of North American Volkswagen engines

ID code- 1V
1.6-litre TD, 44 kilowatts (60 PS; 59 hp) — 1991–1992 Volkswagen Jetta ECODiesel (TurboDiesel with standard non-Turbo injector pump. Catalytic converter has nothing to do with it being an "EcoDiesel" )

It sounds very similar in performance to the JX which was also fitted to the Jetta around that time, although whether it is entirely the same engine I don't know enough to comment, but you might get be able to find a bit more info on either the vwdiesel forum or the samba if you want pursue it.

In terms of replacement, I guess you could either pick up a JX or take a look in the alternative engines forum on here for ideas.
Last edited by clift_d on 10 Oct 2017, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

JonB

Post by JonB »

Thanks Cliff_d, it was the 1v search which kept coming back with mark 4 results. Did a few searches on eco diesel and got more info....finding terms such as 'limited numbers' has me thinking a new cylinder head for the thing will be rare...

Best go off to do some reading...

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Quick Google says 1V heads are available £380 - £460 depending upon whether hydraulic tappets or not. Without camshaft,valves & springs.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

JonB - you have a PM.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I would say ditch the 1v and get a 1.9 aef
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

or a 1Y and bolt all your turbo bits up to it.. as long as it has piston squirters they turbo well
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

JonB

Post by JonB »

OBG, would you mind PMing me the links where you found the 1V head?

I've been on the AMC manufacturer website, found the codes for the bare and complete heads. Only found results in germany so far. My mecanic has gone through his sources and pretty much drawn a blank.

Current thinking is to spend a little time getting the 1V back running. As my mechanic has said, whilst not an original engine it has been pretty good over the 3 years I've had it. Any alternative used engine could have their own set of issues.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

There was another one somewhere for non-hydraulic.
https://www.motor-doctor.co.uk/search-c ... %5B%5D=amc

With cam from Germany http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMC-ZYLINDERK ... Sw1DtXIXSV
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

JonB

Post by JonB »

Thanks for that...

JonB

Post by JonB »

Ok, time for an update on where I'm up to. I'd incorrectly bought a JX head then found the engine was actually 1V, it did prove fairly hard to locate a correct head unless it came either bare or from Germany. In parallel my mechanic took a look at the JX head and noted it was just one hole in the head that would make it not suitable, he thought a tappered tap could plug it and would then be ok.

I phoned AW Engineering to see if they could get a new head for me, Keith was so helpful. Pretty much said that the heads were hard to come by but then started to tell me how the JX head could be modified to work....by blanking a hole.

So thats what we're doing, fortunately my mechanic does a lot with classic race cars so he has a milling machine. He also knows someone who can rejuvenate injectors so they're getting done too.

I've spent quitesome time on the vwdiesels forum too....wow lots to read on there. Actually made me feel pretty good about the 1V. There are a few sensible mods which give it a little more oomph, as the ancilliaries on my engine are from a JX it turns out I've pretty much got them all.

Fingers crossed it all goes well.

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

:ok

JonB

Post by JonB »

People we have runner :ok

Picked the van up yesterday afternoon and drove it the short distance home, wouldnt say it purrs like a race car but does and drives a heck of a lot better than it did do.

Hugely impressed with my local garage, knowledgable guy who enjoys a bit of engineering. He also has a chip n pin machine which makes paying the vast sum less painful...turns out he once had a t25 2.1 panel van too. If anyone needs some work doing near j17 m6 I'd be happy to ping you the details.