AAZ rocker cover leak - project

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dekhelia
80-90 Mem No: 0

AAZ rocker cover leak - project

Post by dekhelia »

Right. The rocker cover on my AAZ has pretty much always had a leak. Well, more of a strong weep. Thin layer of oil on inlet manifold, induction pipework, turbo body etc. I'm going to try and cure it a different way - different to basically using loads of RTV and then having a hell of a time getting the cover off when it inevitably starts leaking again. Having done a bit of reading around, imitating the JX installation in some way seems the best option, as the JX was set up from the start for a 50-degree tilt. The JX I originally had in the van never used to leak, even with that low-rent cork gasket they used.

So. The plan is this: using the rocker gasket intended for installation in the Corrado from the early '90s, I'm going to drill and tap the flange of the cylinder head to accept 8 x M6 studs, to which the rocker cover can then be fixed. I still have one of the pressure equalisation bars from the old JX, so this will help on the 'lower' side of the rocker cover.

There are a couple of problems I can foresee. One is that the Corrado gasket, while physically fitting the cylinder head top of the AAZ, is slightly narrower all round and will therefore be less of an oil barrier because of this: I'm hoping that the studs and bolts pressing it on to the flange will compensate for this. Another problem - this one potentially a project-wrecker - is that while there are four holes already machined in the 'corners' of the flange, where the rubber lugs of the 'proper' AAZ gasket locate, the other four holes will have to be drilled freehand.

Photos to come.
'81 Helgo Mescalero 300,000km
AAZ with ally cam cover from Scirocco
JX turbo
New gearbox coming soon

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Re: AAZ rocker cover leak - project

Post by mrhutch »

ooooh... I have thought about this many a time..

I would attempt it if I was doing a HG or the head was off for service.. you doing it in-situ?

watching with interest, good luck!
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

dekhelia
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: AAZ rocker cover leak - project

Post by dekhelia »

Hmm..well, that went a bit better than I'd hoped, and it's all back together and running again - albeit with a couple of issues. I took photos along the way as I was doing each 'step', and was intending to put it all up here, but I can't see how to attach pics inline with post text. Do I have to do it with 3rd-party photo hosting? Reason I ask that it because the IMG button above consists of a URL....thanks for any tips
'81 Helgo Mescalero 300,000km
AAZ with ally cam cover from Scirocco
JX turbo
New gearbox coming soon