Steering pump issues AAZ conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wolfbus.uk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Steering pump issues AAZ conversion

Post by wolfbus.uk »

Hi hoping someone can help with this;

My mechanic has got the early AAZ engine in my previous JX syncro. We are keeping the serpentine belt set up with clutched pulley and new crank pulley as advised. We would be using the AAZ pump but my mechanic says we can't use that as it's only got 1 banjo and the original JX had two.

He is a bit flummoxed and asked how we get around that or which bracket / pipe set up will mean we can use the AAZ alternator set up with this pump/ banjo problem

Any advice greatly appreciated :ok

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Re: Steering pump issues AAZ conversion

Post by lefty67 »

Sorry can't help you with this, don't have the serpentine belt on mine. Might be worth putting a post over on the brickyard aswell.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

just because the fittings are banjo you should be able to make this work without much head scratching ???

A PAS pump has a HP side and a LP feed (high/low pressure)

Instead of taking the backwards step of reverting to JX pulleys and belts (and losing the clutched alt/serp setup) why don't you just plumb the rack feed feed (HP) side to the AAZ pump and the reservoir to the LP (standard hose) side??

or am I missing something ?
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

wolfbus.uk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by wolfbus.uk »

Yes thanks for that I didn't realise it was so simple! :ok