Exhaust options for EJ20

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jmdlister
80-90 Mem No: 11686

Exhaust options for EJ20

Post by jmdlister »

Hi Folks,

Haven't been around for a while, but my van has just failed its MOT due to a knackered exhaust (and a few other minor issues).

When I put the Subaru engine in, I did a temporary, money-saving job on the exhaust - just made up some plates and welded the Subaru manifold onto the original VW box. Amazingly it worked well, and got through 4 MOTs, but the time has come to replace it with something better.

I'd like a bit more ground clearance (although I've got the original sump, and the van isn't lowered, so not too much of an issue), and I don't want it too quiet!

Stainless would be good of course, but I want to keep the cost reasonable. I know RJES do some neat manifolds, but not sure if they have a complete system available (it's a bit vague on the website).

Any and all suggestions/experience welcome.

James
Subaru EJ20 powered Leisuredrive.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Exhaust options for EJ20

Post by multisi »

The RJES cast manifolds don't seem to be available anymore.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I wouldn't wait for any exhaust stuff from rjes, I think that's dead in the water now. Your options are for head to a custom exhaust place who should be able to help. I have one from Dai Williams, but I don't think he's doing any more now. A custom place should be around £600. I rang around a few at the time. So a bit of a sting, but you'll get lifetime warranty on it (just check the terms).
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Could a silencer from a 2ltr Aircooled / early watercooled be used ? I want to make a system for an early 2.2 Subaru engine .
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Yeah definitely, I toyed with that too. But the silencer isnt the expensive part, it's the headers I found.
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

IainG
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by IainG »

I've got a stainless steel manifold from a subaru rally car mated to a Vectra back box mounted on its side across the back of the van behind the valance.
There was a little modification but not major. It is super quiet at idle but has a lovely note under power.