aaz 1.9td serpentine belt noise

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

toddylaguna
80-90 Mem No: 15887

aaz 1.9td serpentine belt noise

Post by toddylaguna »

Hi All

I have a doka with a 1.9td aaz engine installed. It has been making a noise from the serpentine belt area for a while. Not a screeching sound, but possibly a bit more of a crackling chirping sound. A mechanic said he thought it was the clutch pulley on the alternator. Having purchased one I then realised mine was of the un clutched variety. I then changed the bearings in the alternator, but no difference. The belt is new. My set up has no idler pulley so am left with it being either the water pump or the crank shaft pulley.i have read that the crank shaft pulley is of the harmonic balancer type but not sure if this is the case with my engine or how simple this is to change. When I had the belt off I rotated the water pump pulley. There was a tiny rubbing sound that I assume is the seal. There is no water leak at bearing. I ran the engine briefly without the belt and the sound went. Can anyone give me a clue as to what I should try next. Also should I be fitting the clutched pulley as I have now read that it can shear the key on the crank pulley if un clutched?

Thanks Mike

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: aaz 1.9td serpentine belt noise

Post by colinthefox »

I used to get a similar noise from the serpentine belt on my AEF. It was because the alternator pulley was about 1.5mm out of line with the others, and that was because I had the wrong alternator pulley fitted. It was a 6 rib pulley, (hence the 5 rib belt was always running 1/2 a rib to one side or the other)and I should have had a 5 rib pulley. I thought it would be OK.............It wasn't OK.

It really is a good thing to fit a clutched alternator pulley, as it considerably reduces the huge torque forces on the crank nose generated by the momentum in the rapidly spinning alternator when engine revs decrease quickly. As the AAZ has a reputation for failures anyway, it seems like a no-brainer.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Wallace748
80-90 Mem No: 10616

Post by Wallace748 »

Yes put a clutch pulley on first, usually cures noise too
Gsf or Euro car parts can get or brikwerks

toddylaguna

Post by toddylaguna »

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll put the clutched pulley on . Just need to get splined tool to fit it. Hopefully there's no problem with crank pulley.

Cheers M

toddylaguna

Post by toddylaguna »

Hi All,

So went to fit clutched pulley I had got from GSF and its the wrong one. Size wise and grooves its correct, but the spacing off the alternator is wrong and thread is too far inside the hole. part no. 904vg2080 should be for a golf 1.9td, but something isn't right. My engine is an AAZ but not sure what it's out of. Thought it was a golf. Any ideas what is the correct part number as Im struggling to find it on line.

thanks
Mike

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Sorry. Can't help you with the part number.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

toddylaguna

Post by toddylaguna »

No Probs. Still cant find one that is compatible. Engine is definitely out of a 97 golf 1.9td. Will try brikwerks in morning.

M