TDI Swap build threads

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

volks_womble
80-90 Mem No: 13821

TDI Swap build threads

Post by volks_womble »

I want to swap the jx in our Westy for something with a bit more go. I think that the best bet for me would be to go down the AFN/AHF route.

I realise that this isn't the simplest of choices - it has the implications on gearing and on brakes (its a considerable power jump), and also is not especially simple from and electronics point of view.

I was wondering if there are any good detailed build threads that I haven't found documenting others trips down this path? I am particularly interested in things like choice of donor (transverse vs longitudinal mount) and use of ancillaries (power steering pump, turbo mount, alternator etc)

I have read through the diesel alternatives post at the top of this forum, but I feel the information in that post needs updating - certainly some of the links do.

Thanks
Mark
1989 1.9TDI (AFN) California
1990 2.1MV Syncro Atlantic

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Re: TDI Swap build threads

Post by nevill3 »

Have you tried the "other experts".....http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/t3-di ... page2.html

They have a lot of conversions and posts to trawl through too.
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District