Aaz vs Jx Lda

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wolfbus.uk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Aaz vs Jx Lda

Post by wolfbus.uk »

I'm converting my syncro 1.6td to a 1.9td aaz. We're going to use the aaz pump but not sure if I will need any parts such as the Jx lda to make it fit. I'm going to sell my JX pump if I don't need anything from it to cover some costs. Any advice kindly appreciated!

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Aaz vs Jx Lda

Post by clift_d »

I don't think you can use a JX LDA on an AAZ pump as the mechanical linkages to the boost pins are completely different - if I recall correctly the JX LDA rotates the boost pin while the AAZ LDA push-pulls the boost pin. If you need the JX LDA to get under the engine lid, then I'm pretty sure you'll need to use the JX pump.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

You can use the JX pump cover with LDA on the AAZ pump, the internals works the same way by allowing further movement of the governor assembly, but not worth the hassle. The JX LDA arm movement is less than the AAZ's especially when the AAZ pump has a proper boost pin and not a pump from an ecodiesel. The JX LDA spring is set to the max 0,5-0,75 bar and cannot be changed while you can adjust the LDA on the AAZ.
And the JX LDA is non repairable and expensive if fails while the membrane in the AAZ pump can be changed easily and cheap.

E D I T: you may use the throttle lever and throttle cable bracket of the JX but not sure if it will work with the dual spring of the AAZ lever. Brickwerks sells some levers to AAZ pumps https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/throttle-l ... d-etc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

wolfbus.uk

Post by wolfbus.uk »

Thanks to you both for the replies.
Ok that makes sense so it's full steam ahead with the aaz pump with it'd original LDA. I've ordered one of the throttle mods thanks!

One thing a lad wants my old JX Pump, it's still attached to the JX engine that's in two halves in my garage. Could you tell me how easy it is to get the pump off? May sound trivial but waiting for an op and sometimes even simple things get tricky! Also I don't want to bugger it up for the lad if I get it wrong.

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

wolfbus.uk wrote: One thing a lad wants my old JX Pump, it's still attached to the JX engine that's in two halves in my garage. Could you tell me how easy it is to get the pump off? May sound trivial but waiting for an op and sometimes even simple things get tricky! Also I don't want to bugger it up for the lad if I get it wrong.

You will need a good quality 2 arm puller to remove the pulley. Other than that just undoing some bolts - 22mm, 13mm and 14mm (or 15mm) spanners will be needed (and 17mm if you have the injector lines still attached)
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

wolfbus.uk

Post by wolfbus.uk »

Ah ok that sounds like a job for a mechanic! Thanks much for the info didn't realise I'd have to remove the pulley! :ok